• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

170 to 200 engine swap

randy r 66

I have a early 66 with a 170 rear sump found a 200 from a 68 mustang 3 speed ft sump ive read I can use the pan off the 170 . what all has to be donee to make that work thanks . RR

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Don't toss the old engine right away. There will be some little bracket of do-dad on the old engine you will need for the new one if you do.

Pharless

If you have the original oil bath air cleaner and want to keep it, you'll need to use the bracket for mounting it and the bracket that holds the throttle/choke cable and throttle return spring. You'll also likely need to use the carb from the 170 as well, since the Mustang carbs have a different throttle orientation. I did the same swap a couple years ago and it didn't take long at all and made a big improvement on power.

bmbm

I did that swap years ago and it was good, I removed a very tired 170 for a low mileage 200 from a 1979 Fairmount. As long as I was in it that far I replaced the clutch and timing chain. A 200 timing chain for certain year 200 engines is available that is a pre-emission 'performance' chain and for details on that go to fordsix.com and research the forums. Also a dual timing chain is available form vintageinlines.com. Also at fordsix.com you can research a 200 carb that will be a better performance option than your 170 carb, which as stated is perfectly useable, and get info upgrading to the DSII ignition system. And of course as stated the pickup tube and pan. Consider upgrading from generator to alternator. Good luck.

bmbm

After I wrote that I started doubting that particular detail and was getting geared up to issue a retraction. That swap occurred in 1993 and details of it and pretty much all else at that time are not sharply focused. I was also helping with a 200 swap into my friends 63 Falcon soon after that and my have conflated details of both events as he converted to an alternator...I am fairly sure. Or quite possibly when I bought my current 250 it did not have an alternator bracket or power steering bracket so the usual calamity locating those items ensued and may have left permanent damage. No doubt the brain cell that contained all those events neatly organized for future reference was killed off at some point.

bmbm

Also there is a publication known as The Falcon Performance Handbook, available at vintageinlines.com. It is valuable resource for the Ford small block 170,200 and 250 owner full of performance mods, maintenance and reference details on possible parts swaps etc. Mine is well worn. Look forward to hearing more about your 200 upgrade.