• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 U13 with eyebrow grill

hotrodsbytravis

Just found a very clean 66 U13 in a friends shop here is WY. Looking for some advice on what to do with it as far as restoration. Before I even knew what a U13 was I suggested light mechanical and maybe a swap to fuel injection and a re-gear to make it alittle more highway friendly and re-paint. Objective was to keep it a driver. Don't cut it, lift it ect.
Now that we know about the U13 and the rarity of the eyebrow grill I'm wondering what would be the best direction......Restore and take it to Barrett Jackson or just do light mechanical so it runs and drives good and sell as is?
I own a restoration shop but I'm also a believer that they are only original once and this one has only have a re-spray many years ago. Zero rust anywhere and ran when parked 25 years ago. I just don't want to be the guy that molests a truck like this unless it makes sense.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Just depends on what the rest of the bronco looks like imo. If it's clean and original, I'd make it safe to drive and go from there. The eyebrow grill really isn't that rare, most 66' u13 were built between 8/65' and 11/65' and actually most built in 8/65'-10/65', so most of them had it. u13's don't do as well at the big auctions as the coyote restomods, not even close.

If you haven't already registered your u13 at roadsteru13.com please do so, and also here with me by PM. Check out this thread as well. Thanks. It's been a while since I've updated it.

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/surviving-1966-u13-data-stats-etc.309036/

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And thanks for reaching out for info/advice on this. I am also a believer in the "it's only original once" mantra.
What you do with it, at least in order to resell it, also depends on what you paid for it. If you paid the normal top-dollar that Broncos are getting these days, then I agree with okie that utilizing a big name auction might not be the best way to get a decent return.
If, on the other hand, you got it for a song, and it does not need much of your time or many new parts, you have more options. But maybe a big auction is still not the best approach.

Especially B&J in my opinion. Sure, some go out their doors for big bucks. But with you only getting a no-reserve position there, it's far too likely you won't have the right two bidders hoping for your rig. Which could end up with a selling price well under $20k even if it's in decent shape.

Got more info on it? And by all means add it to okie's database here.
Lastly, is the Bronco yours, or is it still a customer's project? If they want to drive it, then maybe there is only the one option of getting it driveable for fun, then worry about profit later.

good luck no matter what.

Paul

OP
OP
H

hotrodsbytravis

And thanks for reaching out for info/advice on this. I am also a believer in the "it's only original once" mantra.
What you do with it, at least in order to resell it, also depends on what you paid for it. If you paid the normal top-dollar that Broncos are getting these days, then I agree with okie that utilizing a big name auction might not be the best way to get a decent return.
If, on the other hand, you got it for a song, and it does not need much of your time or many new parts, you have more options. But maybe a big auction is still not the best approach.

Especially B&J in my opinion. Sure, some go out their doors for big bucks. But with you only getting a no-reserve position there, it's far too likely you won't have the right two bidders hoping for your rig. Which could end up with a selling price well under $20k even if it's in decent shape.

Got more info on it? And by all means add it to okie's database here.
Lastly, is the Bronco yours, or is it still a customer's project? If they want to drive it, then maybe there is only the one option of getting it driveable for fun, then worry about profit later.

good luck no matter what.

Paul
When I can get back over to the owners shop I'll take a bunch of pics. I have the VIN fthat he sent me but not any of the vin tag itself....are there specific things I need to capture and where?
I didn't buy it, I had done some wiring work on the owners 67 Vette and he was showing me the Bronco and we chatted about a restoration on it. It had the door inserts that he said were factory which caught my attention - I didn't know Ford did that and had always assumed it was aftermarket. Thats when I learned about a U13 Roadster, eyebrow grill ect and discovered its somewhat unique. Maybe a light mechanical to get it running and driving good and then try Bring a Trailer with a reserve ---sort of a fishing expedition. I think his goal is to sell but if it doesn't make sense to do a frame off because you will never recoup the cost then he might just have me clean it up. Restoration wise it needs nothing as far as sheetmetal..it just has a crappy re-spray on it - Very presentable from 20 feet but could be taken to bare metal and redone for $10k.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
When I can get back over to the owners shop I'll take a bunch of pics. I have the VIN fthat he sent me but not any of the vin tag itself....are there specific things I need to capture and where?
I didn't buy it, I had done some wiring work on the owners 67 Vette and he was showing me the Bronco and we chatted about a restoration on it. It had the door inserts that he said were factory which caught my attention - I didn't know Ford did that and had always assumed it was aftermarket. Thats when I learned about a U13 Roadster, eyebrow grill ect and discovered its somewhat unique. Maybe a light mechanical to get it running and driving good and then try Bring a Trailer with a reserve ---sort of a fishing expedition. I think his goal is to sell but if it doesn't make sense to do a frame off because you will never recoup the cost then he might just have me clean it up. Restoration wise it needs nothing as far as sheetmetal..it just has a crappy re-spray on it - Very presentable from 20 feet but could be taken to bare metal and redone for $10k.
I agree with everything Okie said. As far as the VIN, if it’s super early production that would have some significance.

Lewko66u13

Contributor
Loc.
Canada
Depending on the shape of the body. Get it road worthy but keep it as much 66 as you can. IMO they are only original once so getting it back to as original as possible is my preference. Can’t wait to see pictures

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Already pretty well detailed above. The 66 U13 is cool, unique and colelctable. BUT, the audience for resale is somewhat limited to real enthusiasts who dont spend the crazy money. If you buy it, just plan to enjoy it and dont go too deep on the finances unless it pleases you. Good luck.