• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1973 Bronco 302 overheating.

DeepC73

I just thought I would share this in hopes of helping someone else out there with a similar issue. I replaced my engine back in July with a rebuilt 302, .030 and a slight cam (stage 3). It runs great but will get hot if I’m sitting in a drive-through or sitting in traffic too long. I was about ready to install an electric fan; in fact I bought one already. I was looking at the fan, planning the electric fan install and noticed that the front of the fan was basically even with the back of the shroud. I measured and it was 2” away from the radiator. I took a sheet of paper and put it on the grill when idling to see how much flow it had currently so I could guage the improvement. I added the 1 inch fan spacer that I took off when I installed the new engine to throw the fan closer to the radiator and farther into the shroud. I tested it by letting it idle for almost 45 minutes in gear. It peaked at 190 and stayed right there. I have a 185 degree thermostat in it. By simply bringing the fan closer through the shroud to the radiator made a huge difference. I tested it again after the test. If you are overheating, try this. Keeping it closer to the radiator make a significant difference.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Rule of thumb I've always used is that the fan should be about 1/2 of its blade width inside the shroud. Sounds like that's about where yours ended up.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Post a picture of your setup. There are several things that a picture will tell that you may never tell us in words.