• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1974 Lower steering column bearing

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland
This is a friends 1974. The steering shaft is rattling in the lover tube.
I am wondering what parts he needs to get this fixed. He does not want to pull the column out.
Are those two Items enough or is there more to it?

image.png

image.png

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Before doing anything, roll that bearing around in your finger and see if it still smooth.
It’s obviously falling out of its pocket, so all that slop is probably just from that lower column sleeve/bearing retainer thingy having slid down the shaft.
You can see the nut clamping it to the shaft. Loosen that if you need to, then slide it all back up in the pocket.
Hopefully the pocket itself isn’t damaged and it will slide back into place.

The problem with the 74 steering column is that you never know what parts were used. 74 and 75 were a crapshoot mix of parts, but 74 was by far the worst. I’ve had so many customers called to say that the 74 either had the early, the late, or a mix of early and late parts installed from the factory.
Luckily, in the case of your friends column, it looks clearly like it was the late model bearing. But it’s still using the early style clamp retainer, so I’m wondering if it needs that second part.
Maybe that old part just broke out because it was just plastic. Or maybe it doesn’t use it. I’m not sure, so if you do buy parts, it usually means you need to buy both.
I’m just not familiar enough with all the year columns to know for sure. Hopefully somebody else does.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
You can see the bearing in your picture. The rubber grommet has likely rotted away. Just replacing the grommet and snugging up the clamp should fix it. Column bearings (especially the sealed ones) rarely wear out. It's unlikely that the bearing needs to be replaced. Although for $18, it's not like you're spending a fortune to do so if you'd simply like to do so while you've got things disassembled.