• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1975 Ford Bronco 302 V8 - Rocker Stud High?

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
351W block has a larger diameter head bolt, than a 289/302 block.
If using 351 heads on 289/302 you need some type of washer under head bolt.
If using 289/302 heads on 351W block, you need to open the holes up in the heads.
Also make sure water passages in head, gasket, & block line up with each other.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
1979-95 Mustangs with factory 5.0 302 motors require a 7/16" head bolt

The 351W motors featured 1/2" head bolts

Tim

OP
OP
MerganserMaster

MerganserMaster

Another question, because removing the heads will require replacing the head gaskets, I'm thinking of getting a kit that comes with all of the gaskets needed for the 302 (there's one made by SKP which seems to be quite available). I see some options come with new bolts for the heads, is this needed? I didn't have any issues when I removed the intake, and its not like the engine is rusty or anything. Thanks again for the help.

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
Head bolts are reusable in the 302. But if you see any pitting on them you would want to replace them. Or if you just want to ensure you’re doing a complete renew of everything.