• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1976 bronco 302 c4 new edelbrock 1406 linkage help

Crazz

Loc.
Lexington, KY
Just put a brand new edelbrock 1406 on the bronco. Someone stole the last one
long story. I have no where to hook my kickdown on the new carb. The linkage is actually long enough but there is no where to hook it.
I've seen a lot of articles where the linkage is to short. But my new carb doesn't have a place to put it. I no the linkage needs to be pushed and there needs to be some kind of bracket on the on the carb that's spring loaded I'm assuming.

Any ideas ?

OP
OP
C

Crazz

Loc.
Lexington, KY
I looked at that page but I'm not sure its going to work. I'll have to order a few in at advance and check them out. Was hoping someone else has had this same problem and spread some light on it. I've drive it some just manual shifting it

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
You need to buy a Ford Throttle Lever Adapter #1483 by Edelbrock for the linkage to hook up to.

Attachments

• kick down 008.jpg
    kick down 008.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 83
  • kick down 007.jpg
    kick down 007.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 99
OP
OP
C

Crazz

Loc.
Lexington, KY
Makes since now that I see it on the carb. Will order one right now. Thanks for the info. Pics were a huge help

OP
OP
C

Crazz

Loc.
Lexington, KY
Well I installed the 1483. Is there a proper adjustment for the kick down ? It is shifting like crap. When it goes to shift in drive it sounds like it goes to first. But if I manual shift it. Shifts solid

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The kick down linkage only effects full or nearly full throttle conditions. If your full throttle shift points are too low the kick down needs to be engaged sooner and vice-verse. If automatic shifts at part throttle don't happen when they should the vacuum modulator may not be hooked up.

OP
OP
C

Crazz

Loc.
Lexington, KY
Maybe its internal. After checking everything and driving it. It slips going into drive. It revs up. If your going slow it shifts fast but it'll go into drive and long as you just ease the throttle up to speed its fine.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Do you have a spring on the kick down lever linkage? In the picture I didn't have it hook up yet. The spring hooks up to the kick down lever linkage, and pulls it forward till you floor it.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Call a few transmission shops to see if any would help you by telling you how or doing the adjustment for a reasonable price. If they start talking about doing a rebuild, you'll have to move on to another one. Some shops are all out crooks. As I said the kick down only effects the shifting at high RPM full throttle. The shifts in normal driving are determined by the governor on the output shaft and the vacuum modulator.
Some manuals recommend adjusting the screw to leave a 0.060" clearance with the throttle fully open. I have found my C4s and C6s shift too late with the kick down pushed too far and vice verse. The 0.60" clearance is a good starting place.
AFBs (Edelbrocks) are the widest carbs you'll find. Some bending of the throttle rod and kick down rod are usually needed to keep things from hitting each other.