• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1977 factory rear fuel tank repair?

verm125

Loc.
Dickson
So just in time for fall and on a morning I was going to drive it to work I go into the garage and I can instantly tell something is leaking! Unfortunately it’s the Bronco. I read no one makes a new one and my options are upgrading to the 23 gal or finding a used one. What about repairing it? Epoxy and patches, plastic welder or any other suggestion. It may be a bad idea but was just wondering if anyone has tried it and had any success or failed miserably. At this point I figure its trash anyway and it might be worth a shot. Let me know what you think! Thanks!
667749aacc290f6f89df6fd45f4c21df.jpg

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No true fix. Couple of epoxy patches that are designed as a limp by fix. I might try those on the top of a plastic tank that has accidental holes from someone screwing stuff to the floor.

But a natural crack, the plastic is failing. Just yesterday I tossed a plastic 5-gallon utility jug. I have several of them, this one was the one I always used for the 2-stroke premix with race gas. It grew a crack and would spill when pouring. Crack looked like yours. It is a crosslinked plastic fuel can, much like your gas tank. I tossed the empty fuel can over the gate into the back yard, it hit dirt. The plastic further cracked and a few pieces split off it. I think your plastic tank has reached the end of life, much like my utility jug.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Plastics are def different than they were 41 years ago.
If you fix and put it back in you will always be worried about it. Then all the time to pull it again out again.

I just don’t mess with gas realeted items, the chance to go bad is just a big factor in that

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
I would try the JB weld product if I were you. ( google it) I am as frugal as they can get and if it can be repaired try it...

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used a product called "Seal All" on mine. It worked good for about a year until I found another tank. You will need to clean and ruff up the area around the crack so it will stick.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I fixed mine by doing the plastic welding. Didn't hold, leaked days after I finished it. I ripped it out and went stainless.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285464&highlight=custom+gas+tank

I would contact Aero and have them make a tank in the size you want. Fixing a 40 year old plastic tank is just throwing good money after bad. What if it catastrophically fails in your garage when its full of 12 gallons of gas? The tank gave you fair warning don't ignore it. Its just not worth the gamble. I would send it to a tank builder and have it copied and I would also discuss with them setting it up for inside the tank fuel pump with thoughts of EFI.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have also used this with very good results. It is a fuel tank liner that you pour into the empty tank and let it dry. It seals/lines the inside. I have only used it on some antique tractors with metal tanks but I bet it would work on plastic also. I have it in a 42 Ford 9N that hasn't leaked in almost 10 years.

http://a.co/d/foc4cNN

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I tried patching one years ago with some miracle plastic patching compound. It worked for a few months. Then the patch dissolved, clogged my fuel filter, and left me on the side of the road with a leaking tank......

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
My '77 side tank lasted 2 years, and the rear main tank lasted 3 years before leaking. I tried all sorts of plastic weld and epoxy repairs. The seam on the tank where the sending unit went had split.
Bottom line is those were junk.
I upgraded my '77 with Aero tanks in '79. No issue since. After all this time even the fuel gauge works accurately.
Don't bother with plastic tanks!

Attac

Contributor
Nick is closer to you than me but I have one if you need it also
Chuck

OP
OP
verm125

verm125

Loc.
Dickson
Nick & Chuck, I greatly appreciate the offers but I think its time to fix it right the first time and go with the upgraded metal tank. Thank you all for your ideas and opinions. I feel the 3 major points expressed were peace of mind, safety and doing it once! Not again later down the road and left on the side of the road!
Josh

Last edited: