• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1987 Bronco 4.9 300 6L 4x4 efi/tfi to DS2

Bama 4.9

Ok so.... I have recently purchased an 87 bronco 4x4 that had the early oem tfi/eec wiring setup. The PO had hacked the wiring badly and after countless hours chasing wirea and replacing parts I decided to convert her to the DSII with a pertonix ignition coil and pickup module to eliminate the problematic efi system. And to the efi fans, don't bother proclaiming the vast superiority and efficiency of FI. In most cases yes, it is. But in the case of fords tfi system. I'd rather ANY alternate system after my experience. Dare I say, got mad enough at one point I nearly swore Fords off altogether. Anyways, back to the beast. Ive pulled a beautiful DSII harness today out of an 82 F-150, ordered the pertronix II ignitor and flamerhrower coil, and am ordering a vac advance dizzy next. My first 2 queations are... Can I use/modify the oem intake manifold to hold the holley 4 bbl I'll be using? I've heard of it being possible with minor modification. Second, if the efi intake cannot be used would a stock carb intake and a reducer be a viable setup for the 4bbl? Plenty more as I fo I imagine but for now...

OP
OP
B

Bama 4.9

Btw, I realize this subject has been covered in many cases. I simply want to cover some issues, problems, opinions concerning the conversion, to educate myself and others who have had trouble with grey area specifics/details that would help with their own SUCCESFUL conversion. Excited to see where this goes... Thanks in advance to any who can help!!

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
aef50301d056b522f7d092eb9dbfcc25.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bama 4.9

That's an option, but a lil too pricey and still have multiple sensors and relays I would rather not have. Less components to fail = lower likelyhood of failure. Plus the DS II is a proven, dependable, and far less costly system to repair and maintain. With the pertronix II ignitor and coil I have found that most who have coverted to this particular setup with a correct cfm carb thats properly tuned have been more than pleased with the results. Especially those converting from the faulty tfi/eec models. I just want to see if its possible, and or viable to use my current EFI intake as I have heard the airflow to both intake and the headers/ex manifold on the efi system were considerably greater than the stock carb intake. Also, considering grabbing a 750 cfm holley dub pump 4 bbl (8051B) carb. Ive heard 350-550 cfm carbs are optimal but will the holley work? Can it be modded if not? Needing good info to continue. Thanks for the option and info efi guy. Would love any additional advise even though you obviously lean towards the efi system. %)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Better find the correct forum. I think you want fullsizebroncos.com
This site is good up to '77. Your '87 is a little too new and about 2 generations ahead. There is a little info here, but there is a little into on Mustang forums as well. IF you go to the forum that specializes in what you are working on you will get better results

The 300 I6 has some love here, but little popularity since it is too big to fit easily. And you will be on your own finding anything about putting a 4-barrel holley on an EFI intake.

OP
OP
B

Bama 4.9

Aaaahhhh.... Was always told a 25+ year old vehicle was consisered classic. My mistake not realizing y'all only consider up to 77'. Did no models those years come equipped with the L6? But I will def post on those others for addition info. But surely prefer actual bronco owner experience and thought "classic bronco.com" seemed a fitting place to look. Thanks,

OP
OP
B

Bama 4.9

Is there any way to bolt on ANY carb to that intake? Worded it in a way that makes me think a holley 4bbl is a no go but another option is possible. Please advise on that one.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Aaaahhhh.... Was always told a 25+ year old vehicle was consisered classic. My mistake not realizing y'all only consider up to 77'. Did no models those years come equipped with the L6? But I will def post on those others for addition info. But surely prefer actual bronco owner experience and thought "classic bronco.com" seemed a fitting place to look. Thanks,

Yes there were inline sixes in those years Broncos, but they were 170 or 200 cubic inch.
You can think of them as a small block L6 and the 300/4.9 is a big block.

OP
OP
B

Bama 4.9

Ok... Good info brother. Duely noted as well. Still leaves my initial queations unanswered. Just tryin to utilize all facets of available information.