• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1995 351w

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Going with a carb on my 95 351W so I need to plug the exhaust ports on the back of the heads. I was hoping one of the smart folks on here would know what size plugs I need. Thanks!

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
I think you’re talking about thermactor plugs. Hope this helps.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-51400265/

Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough. The Ford small blocks had a tube that ran between the heads across the back of the engine by the firewall. To this day I'm not sure it's purpose-had to replace a cracked one once and it was a PITA. Anyway, I'm deleting that thing. When you remove it, it exposes two ports that are threaded for a pipe plug, I think. Looking for the size plug that fits. I'll post some pics after work.

Loc.
The Bluegrass State
Those plugs I listed from Summit go in the holes left when you remove that pipe. I think the pipe is something to do with emissions. With what you’re doing you no longer need that pipe. So those screw into the resulting holes and plug them. In the product listing says they’re 5/8-11 thread. I know in the picture they don’t look like a plug but they are. I may even have a couple I’d give you. Let me check when I get home.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
The ports that you are talking about are the Thermactor ports, and they are threaded 5/8x11 UNC.

the link above from Summit is the part you want ($9 ea) , but you are better off buying from Jegs PN 555-51495 (4 pack for $8.99)

The purpose of the ports is to connect the smog pump to the exhaust ports. you can certainly plug them with a regular 5/8 - 11 bolt...but you should put an angle on the tip so that you get a good seat to prevent leaking.

The threaded inserts are 7/16x14 in the inside so that you can attach other accessories to those holes.