• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1996-2001 explorer V8's

chuck1022

Contributor
Do they have the ability for a mechanical fuel pump to be hooked up to them, or if I swap that motor in do I have to use an electric fuel pump? The reason I ask, is I may have a lead on a good Explorer motor and I would just rip it down to a long blocks put all of my stuff on it and keep running. Mine has the 2bbl

OP
OP
C

chuck1022

Contributor
I tried Googling the internet for upwards of seven minutes and gave up knowing that you guys would just tell me the answer in 2 seconds

Joe473

I tried Googling the internet for upwards of seven minutes and gave up knowing that you guys would just tell me the answer in 2 seconds
Yes with original bronco front dress and timing cover. U will need custom balancer to use bronco pulley and explorer imbalance. Also make sure the timing chain cam, gears. Pump eccentric and pin all play nice together. Spend the money on new parts here. 85 mustang GT was roller motor with fuel pump as a reference.

Dint forget to change dizzy gear for roller cam

You will need clutch pivot adapter id standard shift as later block does not have that.

You will need new flywheel or flex plate with explorer imbalance

You can use explorer aluminum pan but will need in block dipstick. Ford motorsport makes a in block tube and dipstick.

Remove oil filter adapter/cooler and buy new stud for standard FL1A filter.

I think that's it.. I would pull the heads and check them out new gaskets and valve guide seals at least.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'm almost positive you will have to change the cam as EFI cams are not made to accept the eccentric.

I seem to recall reading that someplace while researching my EFI upgrade.

Tim

Joe473

I'm almost positive you will have to change the cam as EFI cams are not made to accept the eccentric.

I seem to recall reading that someplace while researching my EFI upgrade.

Tim
You can do it. Just need the right timing set and pay attention to putting gear on properly and whether space is required or not. Open instructions to comp cams timing set good info in there. I'm running same cam as you I believe with the mechanical pump eccentric

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
It would be much much better AND easier to use the front dress from the explorer and add an electric fuel pump [Bonus is its serpintine]... The timing chain cover on the explorer is tighter and doesn’t have room for the fuel eccentric that you would have to mount on the upper timing chain gear...

Joe473

Eeeeeffffff..

I thought it would be less involved.
Keep in mind a lot of the stuff I mentioned is unrelated to trying to run the mechanical pump. Keeping the explorer front dress is def. Easier but later block and roller cam alone has other requirements related to pwr steering lines pump reservoir. Radiator Alternator, dizzy, flywheel, clutch z bar etc

If you run the bronco front dress you need the to use the bronco timing cover and make sure the timing chain gears eccentric pin are all meant to play well together.

Good luck, this is an explorer roller engine with gt 40 heads running bronco front dress, mech pump and carb.

6f7d0b74138efb6fb0bbc800294e7923.jpg
de532d71359901f4c116dcde62cfa5a2.jpg
4fcc878cd2bb0f0b98fadb249633b53d.jpg

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The Explorer is just a small block. Strip off the stuff that makes it an Explorer and it will accept nearly anything. Ford did a really good job in keeping the engine reverse compatible most of the time. You can drop in an old school flat tappet cam, old heads, and use the block in a '68 mustang to replace a worn out 302 and it will work. Some things changed over time like the engine balance and 1-piece rear main seal, but overall very little.

But an Explorer engine as a whole, does not have provisions for a mechanical pump. You would have to strip the complete front dress off the engine. The timing chain and dowel pin on the cam I believe are unique to the Explorer. Those are little things. Then you build up the front of the engine with Bronco stuff (except the original crank damper as the balance is wrong).

But the Explorer front accessory drive is so desirable in a Bronco. The best cooling fan around, a good alternator mounted up high and dry. The power steering pump generally works (but as with most stuff an upgrade does exist). Designed to keep a good sized SUV cool with the A/C maxed out sitting in traffic. Highly recommend keeping this accessory drive and just putting a Carter P4070 electric fuel pump on.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
The Explorer is just a small block. Strip off the stuff that makes it an Explorer and it will accept nearly anything. Ford did a really good job in keeping the engine reverse compatible most of the time. You can drop in an old school flat tappet cam, old heads, and use the block in a '68 mustang to replace a worn out 302 and it will work. Some things changed over time like the engine balance and 1-piece rear main seal, but overall very little.

But an Explorer engine as a whole, does not have provisions for a mechanical pump. You would have to strip the complete front dress off the engine. The timing chain and dowel pin on the cam I believe are unique to the Explorer. Those are little things. Then you build up the front of the engine with Bronco stuff (except the original crank damper as the balance is wrong).

But the Explorer front accessory drive is so desirable in a Bronco. The best cooling fan around, a good alternator mounted up high and dry. The power steering pump generally works (but as with most stuff an upgrade does exist). Designed to keep a good sized SUV cool with the A/C maxed out sitting in traffic. Highly recommend keeping this accessory drive and just putting a Carter P4070 electric fuel pump on.

/\/\This/\/\

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
X4 on the Explorer serp. Really nice upgrade. Electric pump by the tank is pretty easy to install.