• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

23Gal TBP tank and rear axle

Mikesimp70

Looking for anyone who has a TBP 23gal tank and moved their axle back an inch.

I have a 2.5" lift. I moved the axle back 1" with new spring perches and just installed the TBP 23gal tank.

I am a little nervous about the possibility of the differential contacting the tank.

I don't have gas in, bumper, tailgate or spare tire on yet but top of axle tube to bottom of frame rail is sitting 10". Once it gets down to 8.5" - 9" will I have a problem with this as the rear articulates and the shackles move back?

Anyone who has this combo?

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
The shackles move with the arc of the spring. The rear end won't move fore and aft as it is held in place by the front spring mount. I have the Aero 23 gallon tank with 2.5 inch suspension lift and moved the axels back an inch and there is a lot of room for the rear end to move. Ken

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is your TBP tank the new-ish one with the flat front face Mikesimp?
If so it should be at least very close to the Aero that Ken has.

If it's an older one that might be similar to the Sunset Metal/NWMP tank, with the big bump-out/shelf that extends forward under the crossmember, then there would be less clearance. By quite a bit maybe.

Which design is yours like?
And anyway, with the tank already installed you should be able to see if it's going to hit or not. If you're only sitting 1" or so above where you expect to end up, you should see visual clues right now.
And you can always compress the suspension with ratchet straps if you're just not sure.

Paul

OP
OP
Mikesimp70

Mikesimp70

Thanks. It is the newer more Aero like design.

I will be back under there tomorrow and get a better idea. I was just wondering if others had the same combo.

OP
OP
Mikesimp70

Mikesimp70

Is your TBP tank the new-ish one with the flat front face Mikesimp?
If so it should be at least very close to the Aero that Ken has.

If it's an older one that might be similar to the Sunset Metal/NWMP tank, with the big bump-out/shelf that extends forward under the crossmember, then there would be less clearance. By quite a bit maybe.

Which design is yours like?
And anyway, with the tank already installed you should be able to see if it's going to hit or not. If you're only sitting 1" or so above where you expect to end up, you should see visual clues right now.
And you can always compress the suspension with ratchet straps if you're just not sure.

Paul

Finally got back to this. My tank has a 2” step on the front going under the crossmember! Since it is new, I have a note into TBP.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well I hope someone there has one installed, or better yet has done the 1" rearward shift of the axle too and can tell you exactly what their personal experience has been.
Otherwise, it's not likely when the tank was designed anyone took moving the axle rearward into account.
Then again, pretty smart people there, and been around Broncos a time or three too.;) So maybe they were thinking about it after all.

But remember the person in this discussion with the most experience right now is YOU!;D
I mean, you're the one with both parts installed in the Bronco after all. Can you eyeball what the axle is going to do when the suspension flexes? The anchor point of the spring (the front eye) is only going to let the rear end shift just so far rearward during it's arc of movement. Or is it too close to call at this point?

If so, maybe cycle the suspension with ratchet straps to see what it will do.
Or better still! Sounds like a good excuse for a summer BBQ at your house for all your Bronco brothers and sisters, and a few extra invites for your beefiest buddies!
Got any ex-football team members from high school or college still in the area? A little tailgating like the old days, and your suspension may never know what hit it!

A party is an expensive way of testing suspension flex, but hey, but a couple of linebackers loaded up and the suspension will never know what hit it!

Let us know what they say.
And if they don't know... BBQ weather is here.;D

Paul

OP
OP
Mikesimp70

Mikesimp70

Problem solved! New version tank with flat face that stays behind the croccmember is en route! This will add 2" of horizontal clearance.

Thanks!