• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 2 barrel Motorcraft puking gas

67RT

Bronco Guru
So my new truck ran fine for a few weeks. Came from California. First real cold weather start today. Verified Choke closed. Keeps flooding and puking gas all over manifold. It will start if hold gas pedal down and will stay running if keep on pedal, but badly and dies when releasing.. Motorcraft 2 barrel. What should be my first check, float??

OP
OP
67RT

67RT

Bronco Guru
Thanks. What is the correct carb for a 70 302? Is it the 2100? Do you know if local NAPAs or Advance carry one with electric chokes, just in case? Otherwise, where would be the best place to buy a rebuilt one.?

Fairlane514

Loc.
Houston
They are very easy to rebuild, buy the kit from your favorite auto parts store for 20.00 or so and have fun.

OP
OP
67RT

67RT

Bronco Guru
It looks like the throttle linkage has a lot of lateral play and it looks like crap in general. I think I will replace it with a rebuilt mastercraft with electric choke. Should a 70 302 have a 2100 or 2150? And where is the best place to get one with an electric choke? I looked on rock auto and I don't think theirs has the choke...

OP
OP
67RT

67RT

Bronco Guru
Anyway, which is the best one to buy for best running motor? Want plug and play...

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Exactly where is the puking gas coming from? Is it from the bowl vent in the middle of the top cover, or the vents on the choke chimney? The choke wouldn't cause fuel to come from either one. A good composite float weighs 0.3 oz. and the brass type is 0.5 oz. If yours weighs significantly more, replace it. Your problem could also be the result of a piece of crud holding the needle valve open. A so called rebuild 2100 from a chain parts store isn't the answer. Even if your real lucky and you get one that works well. You'll still be clueless about carbs and equally helpless the next time a minor problem comes up.
Your choke, if original, would be heated by drawing air through the exhaust manifold. You could add an electrically heated thermostat or choke cap, to have what you call an electric choke. I have a pile of them and will send one free. Since your engine hasn't been warmed up, you don't know the automatic choke isn't working now.
A photo of the throttle linkage would help. Without knowing what they should look like, it may be OK and look, to you, like crap.

OP
OP
67RT

67RT

Bronco Guru
It has an electric choke and it was just starting to open but fuel was pouring on manifold. I. Couldnt tell where but i think an overflow on top of carb. I have successfully rebuilt small engine carbs but mixed with car carbs. Dont have a lot of time to work on it and dont want to try it and have it be wrong. No place to soak parts. I am sure a bought rebuilt one will be better than what I do. Just ordered one fron National carbs in Fla. We will see how it is. Thanks for the choke offer.. pete

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The classic vehicle hobby is usually the home of gear-heads who are proud to tell people about their vehicle and what they did to create their pride and joy. The 4x4 enthusiasts are self reliant types who can do whatever is needed to get their rig back to civilization. I kind of thought early Bronco owners would be a combination of these personality types. When I hear someone say they aren't interested learning how to do it yourself I'm at a loss in terms of offering help.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've met many people over the years that own their classic rides to enjoy driving and showing them off and who also have little or no interest in wrenching on them.

It's all good.

OP
OP
67RT

67RT

Bronco Guru
The classic vehicle hobby is usually the home of gear-heads who are proud to tell people about their vehicle and what they did to create their pride and joy. The 4x4 enthusiasts are self reliant types who can do whatever is needed to get their rig back to civilization. I kind of thought early Bronco owners would be a combination of these personality types. When I hear someone say they aren't interested learning how to do it yourself I'm at a loss in terms of offering help.
Dont misunderstand. I changed my entire brake system in my 67 vette with new sleeved calipers,lines etc..installed msd ignition,swapped a motor out of my 71 challenger in college. Now I am a middle aged professional, dad and family man with family my number one priority. So if I can spend 200 on a rebuilt carb and install it in 10 minutes it is a smart move with my priorities. If I spend an hour plus soaking time plus rebuilding the carb and it is still not right because it has a weak throttle shaft or i screwed up something i have wasted my time and money.
I wouldnt generalize "bronco" dudes since i see plenty coming out of high end resto shops. I know where to spend my time and money wisely. By the way, in looking at a million. Broncos before buying mine, i think some bronco dudes should invest in professional mechanical repairs. One had new ps gear not bolted in, another had brake shoes on backwards, another bs welds and bodywork. A bunch of rigged garbage!
i appreciate all the help I have been given and my carb is off and apart now. Cleaning needle seat circuit and blowing cleaner thru it. Will put back together and if i works it will be my spare as the new one will go on when it comes..

Last edited:
OP
OP
67RT

67RT

Bronco Guru
Update, float was fine, cleaned out everything, blew out jets and needle seat area and every other hope I cold find. Started fine, quickly flooded. By the time I got out of truck with engine stalled gas was all over intake. Hopefully new carb solves it..

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
A carb kit will probably fix it. Problem may just be the needle seat itself is no longer sealing properly. The rubber tip on the needle tends to deform over time and will leak no matter what you do unless you install a new one. Kit includes a new needle seat. A 1970 will have a 2100 carb although it really doesnt matter the 2100 and 2150 are basically the same carb.

OP
OP
67RT

67RT

Bronco Guru
Great. I will get one and keep it as a back up. Gas everywhere. Car does start and run with foot to floor so has to be carb issue.. Car sold advertised with rebuilt carb..
. Maybe twenty years ago..

Fairlane514

Loc.
Houston
Another thing to consider is the fuel pump, it may be putting out too much pressure and overriding the needle and seat. If the new carb does the same thing, you may have to install a fuel pressure regulator or just try a new pump.

OP
OP
67RT

67RT

Bronco Guru
Yeah.. It is mechanical and was good for the few times I got to run it so pressure should be ok. Truck is running on aux tank and gas in main smells like turpentine. I will address that soon. Hoping aux tank is ok and will install new in line filter with the new carb..

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Sounds like a common Ford problem. Some Ford fuel pumps put out too much pressure for the carb. In most cases 4 psi is more than enough. It would be a good idea to check your pressure. Ford produced some that made too much pressure.

OP
OP
67RT

67RT

Bronco Guru
Ok. I didnt know the stock pump could put out too pressure. Is this possible if it has been running normally before?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Most likely not the fuel pump if it was running fine before and the fuel pump was not changed. the older a fuel pump gets the less it will put out. A 20 year old needle seat is more likely the issue they dont last forever.