• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 trouble shooting - Brown hornet is down.

OP
OP
starkypdx

starkypdx

Loc.
Secret lab in Oregon
Update. I've been tearing the hornet down this week after a two month hiatus from bronco work. I shot a note out to the locals looking for tools/pullers etc on sunday. I've gotten a note from MR Incredible every day this week and somewhere in it was "check the push rods yet" or "pull them push rods" "get them push rods outta there". (Infact he even mentioned it during the last UFC fight.) Well, It has at least 4 visibly bent, and a couple others yet to be run on a flat table.
Now since I'm this deep in it do I install a Noisy GeAr drive!
I officially admit Mr Incrediblahh was correct.

mr incredible

Bronco Guru
Update. I've been tearing the hornet down this week after a two month hiatus from bronco work. I shot a note out to the locals looking for tools/pullers etc on sunday. I've gotten a note from MR Incredible every day this week and somewhere in it was "check the push rods yet" or "pull them push rods" "get them push rods outta there". (Infact he even mentioned it during the last UFC fight.) Well, It has at least 4 visibly bent, and a couple others yet to be run on a flat table.
Now since I'm this deep in it do I install a Noisy GeAr drive!
I officially admit Mr Incrediblahh was correct.

yes , right after you check out the rest of the motor, and replace the cam and lifters .and the cam bearings .......{as a minium}

and dont you think my head is fat enough?

mr incredible

Bronco Guru
I have given this passed week some thought and I have come to the conclusion that all our Broncos took dumps for a reason. What a different experience it would have been if Dave hadn't worked so hard on Kevin's rig, what if I hadn't boiled my transmission over, who knows what you avoided by staying in camp and nursing the Hornet even Tommy's tow rig taking a crap on the way home may have avoided some tragedy.

I think we just need to listen to our Broncos; they seem to know best.

Brad

amen brother!! tits is gonna have to put an extra 20 in the plate for us at church on sunday!!!

DAS72

Loc.
Albany Or.
Ya know I just might have the heads gone threw just to make sure the valves and springs are okay. did not know you were having issues when we talked on the beach as I had went through this a couple of years before. had some head work done and a valve hung up on break in. caused all kinds of issues that took some time to fix.

OP
OP
starkypdx

starkypdx

Loc.
Secret lab in Oregon
DAS72- You're onto something there with the heads. The engine is now out and on the stand. Heads are off and the valves look like they are below the head surface. I pulled a pair of the valves and they're ground down fairly thin aside from just being worn out and on the verge of burned through. Soo.. the heads are going to need new seats, guides, valves etc.. Not much left to go through aside from Rod/Main bearings.