• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w, gt40 explorer efi, stock hood.

Neil74&75

Hey all! Trying to explorer efi swap my 351w and keep the stock hood with no ,ore than 1” body lift. I’ve read a lot of previous posts but haven’t found the answer yet. One states that the tubular gt40 upper is 11/16-1” inch lower, but that is not what I’ve found. I’ve looked at buying a few different ones and they’re all right at 6” tall flange to top of TB flange. Anyone successfully done it?
Thank you for the help.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I'll be watching this. My q-jet has never let me down but I have a spare 351w short block in the garage. I also fell into a 351 lighting lower intake on the cheap. My 72 has a 2" body lift and going back to a stock hood.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Can't be done with only 1" body lift unless you do something to lower the engine another inch.

ngsd

Bronco Guru
I couldn't do it either. I ended up changing the hood. I like the look so it was not a problem.

Attachments

• hood fit.jpg
    hood fit.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 89
  • eng height.jpg
    eng height.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 88
OP
OP
N

Neil74&75

I'll be watching this. My q-jet has never let me down but I have a spare 351w short block in the garage. I also fell into a 351 lighting lower intake on the cheap. My 72 has a 2" body lift and going back to a stock hood.
From what I’ve read and seen, you shouldn’t have any issues if you have a 2” body lift.

Green_Bastard

I went down the same path and couldn’t do it without a 1” body lift and slight modification to the hood while retaining a stock hood look. Nobody even notices the mod unless I mention it

OP
OP
N

Neil74&75

I went down the same path and couldn’t do it without a 1” body lift and slight modification to the hood while retaining a stock hood look. Nobody even notices the mod unless I mention it
What was the hood mod you did?

Green_Bastard

What was the hood mod you did?

I raised the center of the hood above 1”
cdffb4a1a234c66aadbfe8b86855e21d.jpg

gumby77

Loc.
yuma
I installed my 351w without a body lift and stock hood by modifying the cross support for the hood so the air cleaner would clear.
Using the sniper efi and the 1 inch air cleaner drop plate. ALos had to mod the fire wall on the driver side to clear the valve cover.