• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

67 bronco blower/fan upgrade

jahidm

Been fishing around online and have been coming across some people that have swapped in a stronger fan to get the heater to blow better

Anyone have experience with this and any suggestions on the best options?

ryan97

Loc.
Richmond
My cousin just did that on a stock 70 I sold him a few years ago. It still has factory wiring harness and fuse box and now he blows a fuse every time he turns it on as it pulls to much. Need to run on separate circuit if you still have factory fuse panel.

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
Welcome to the site!

I know my truck has an upgraded fan that was installed by the PO. Not sure what vehicle it came out of though but I think I remember reading about using a GM blower of some sort. It does work good, especially considering I've got no top on. It is loud as all get out on high.

On a previous EB the PO had cut the fiberglass that bridged the heat vents on the bottom of the case to open it up and allow more airflow. That worked really good too using the stock fan but is a bit more of a permanent change since you're cutting the case.

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I did this mod and it has been a great upgrade.

Napa part numbers -
Blower motor 655-1039
Blower wheel 655-1406

OP
OP
J

jahidm

I keep reading about a Chevy blower upgrade but some issues with the stock cage after install

This is what I found
78' Chevy C-10 standard heater W/O AC. Blower motor part# PM102, Blower fan part# 35602.

I'm also contemplating on moving forward with the pain less full rewire kit. That could also eliminate any issues with the stock fuse box.

If not I'd imagine running a line directly to the battery with an in line fuse could work too?

Very new to the EB world so trying to figure out the most critical mods for the northeast

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, easy upgrades.

1. Just a new stock EB motor will likely wake up your heater at least a little bit. After almost 50 years in place, it's likely getting a little tired.

2. There is a full-size Ford truck blower and fan (squirrel cage) that is an upgrade in size and flow.

3. The Chevy upgrade is a tried and true option.

I believe that both of the larger upgrades will require you open up the hole for the motor and cage to fit your stock heater plenum/box. And not sure about the Ford, but the GM motor requires a separate ground wire too, if I'm not mistaken.
The stock Bronco motor has two wires, while the GM only has one.
Simple as attaching the old ground wire to one of the attaching bolts, but it's something that has to be taken into account for things to work.

ryan97, it might just be that the wiring or the switch or the fuse box itself has too much resistance built up into it after all these years, which is what's blowing the fuse. That or the fuse is under-rated for the heater.

Most do not experience any trouble with that circuit. If you do, then you could update your wiring harness, or add a relay setup to take the load off of the switch and fuse, and put it all on the relays and their new fuse.

Any of the above is a pretty good improvement though, over a tired old motor and wiring.
Assuming everything else in the system is working as expected too of course.

Paul

matts460

I replaced my heater core and installed new seals to make sure air moves through the core and made sure the big tube was connected tight to the fresh air vent. paired with factory 195 t-stat and my heater will burn you out of the truck and has the stock 1977 fan motor. Also really like the rain x antifog you can use on the inside of your windows. worked great for years.

OP
OP
J

jahidm

I'll take a look and see if I can work with the original parts and see if that gets me anywhere before any upgrades or modifications

Thanks all

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
I did the upgrade with the the Napa motor and the original squirill cage (for whatever reason everybody had the fan on backorder when I rebuilt the heater box) and it still works way better than the stock setup. Drove the truck this past December in 20 degree weather and it kept me nice and warm with a soft top.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
After driving 2 EBs I bought new, in sub zero weather, the idea that these trucks need some other fan motor seems laughable. The bearings will eventually wear out and the commutators may need to turned and given new brushes, but the OE motor and fan do the job very well for many years. I don't believe the so called "upgrade" is an improvement. The simple concept of fixing what you have is oddly ignored for no good reason.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I did one of my broncos with the mod, but I think just rebuilding the box and maybe replacing the motor will be just as effective.

matts460

Only thing is why just install a big bad fan when if the seals around core are gone it wont pull air through the core just around it. It wont be as good either way. In the end it pays to rebuild the box and that's super easy if you even have half a brain with tools! Also if the core is original might want to replace that for sure you mite just be surprised at the improvement. It was pretty suprising to pull out the heater box on my Bronco and find the core loose in box with no seals around it whatsoever! The seals for the doors in the box aren't as important because you can leave it on floor and still have some very minor air flow to the windshield without pulling out the defrost lever. Also anything that's not sealed like missing door rubber or glass runs etc.. will pull the heat out of the cabin at faster speeds. I have also found the big plastic tube loose at the vent on pass side kick panel letting cold air in and not even going fully through heater box, but it looked like it was still attached properly but actually wasent!

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
After driving 2 EBs I bought new, in sub zero weather, the idea that these trucks need some other fan motor seems laughable. The bearings will eventually wear out and the commutators may need to turned and given new brushes, but the OE motor and fan do the job very well for many years. I don't believe the so called "upgrade" is an improvement. The simple concept of fixing what you have is oddly ignored for no good reason.

Not to knock fixing what you have because some times you come out way ahead but in this case $16.87 for the motor at NAPA is probably less than you will spend in parts for the original and definitely less labor.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru

Not to knock fixing what you have because some times you come out way ahead but in this case $16.87 for the motor at NAPA is probably less than you will spend in parts for the original and definitely less labor.

And comparing a new Bronco to a 49 year old Bronco?

Rebuilding the heater isn't enough, what it would take is to get the whole Bronco to seal up like when it was new so that the heater would work as well as new.

Seal up all the gaps or increase heater output, which costs less?

Which takes less time and gets me driving my Bronco sooner?