• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

68 Bronco door alignment

Gotdesl

Picking this one up this Saturday. Supposedly the doors need to be alligned. Can you tell me from the pics where to start or what the issue may be? Also, supposedly all the wiring, pumps, etc are there for the auxiliary fuel tank. What besides a tank, filler hose, and cap might I need? How hard is it to access this spot? Thanks!
3Kd3L63J85Nd5L35E9cas66cecef489301582.jpg

rockg

Loc.
Lafayette, LA
It could be from the floor pans being replaced. A lot of times when they do this it results in the doors to sag and not close properly.

pabluni

Loc.
Beaufort NC
not necessarily......Do "door alignment" search at top of this page and you should get numerous threads to see how other folks handled this problem. Have you checked the alignment with the top on???...

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
For the aux tank besides the tank and sending unit there is a bracket that bolts to the body i think and a couple straps, and a skid plate. Also there is a manual lever just under the drivers seat facing forward. And a switch in the dash to change the guage to read that tank.
This shows everything you need.....
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/c-893-factory-auxillary-side-tank.html

As far as the door goes....it probably not gona be easy! Might take all day if not weeks or months. SORRY! We need a pic from the side straight on so we can see the front and bottom gap. With out seeing that we cant begin to tell you what to do. Getting even gaps is done by adding or removeing body mount shims (or washers). Making the door flush if done by adjusting the striker or the hinges. Only so much can be done then its time to grind or weld on the edge of the door, and then add some filler to the body.

It does look like you can adjust the door striker in a bit maybe, but it that bottom corner is sticking out no matter what you do then it needs to have a bunch of body work done.

Nice looking bronco! Looks like it needs smaller tires or nigger lift though.

OP
OP
G

Gotdesl

From the side, the doors look straight. With the top on, the driver door is closed but looks popped. The passenger door is closed but looks popped at the bottom.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
"As far as the door goes....it probably not gona be easy! Might take all day if not weeks or months."
I totally agree.

Is the tub metal or glass?
Side pics would help.

Make sure there is no slop in the hinges and if there is, rebuild them before you start trying to align the doors.

OP
OP
G

Gotdesl

Tub is metal. Would jigging and redoing the floor pans fix it? Also Off-road shop quoted me $45-$450. Is that a good deal?

Lennardlector

Contributor
Unless youre made of cash give it a try yourself. You don't go buying a classic, especially an offroading classic and expect there to be cheap and easy fixes. I'm about to go through this on my bronco but my drivers side floor pan is riveted in and it's missing both rockers entirely

Start with the smallest part and work your way up, open the door and lift it up and down. Could be the rod that holds the hinges together is worn out. Maybe your door sills are rotted. Maybe it just needs a shim or two. It's only nuts and bolts you won't hurt anything by giving it a go yourself.

Lennardlector

Contributor
Also, price is subjective to the quality of work that the shop does. I can tell you ill fix your door gaps for $20 and ill just slap 3 inches of bondo where it needs it and call it a day.

There are too many factors for us to give you an accurate answer. For all we know there already is bodywork on the door causing it to look big. Or maybe the wrong type of weatherseal was used and its causing the door to look slightly open.

OP
OP
G

Gotdesl

Understand. This is my bucket list truck, but is also my daily driver. I can do everything from redoing floor pans to shims, but need very little down time for the next couple of months. Obviously, I would try the simple but if it is involved and my buddy that owns the offloaded custom shop can fix it right, reasonably, and with minimal down time that would allow me to tackle the weekend projects a lot easier.

Green76

Loc.
Sherman, Texas
"Nice looking bronco! Looks like it needs smaller tires or nigger lift though."

Does this mean he needs to lower it?

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Gotdesl, congrats on the purchase. I spoke with the seller and took a good look at the photos, but decided to go another route. Will be interested to hear your feedback on the truck and hope you are happy with it once you get it in your hands!

If it's going to be a daily driver you might want to consider just going with a single 23gal fuel tank.

OP
OP
G

Gotdesl

I like this EB, and it will be my first. The owner is letting me have it inspected so I know what I'm getting into. I have seen Fireballs post about this same vehicle. I am planning on making the 6.5 hour drive, but if someone has something nicer for 9k absolute max, I am all ears. I need it to be a daily driver, and mostly complete. I can handle small weekend finish-it-up type projects, but that's about it right now. Save me a trip if you can, I will drive and I have cash in my safe. Need it soonest.

ehumaui

Looks like my passenger door, I sucked in the New rocker and lower quarter panel in to far and the lower door does not line up. First check the hinges and go from there.