• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

6R80 and 10R 80 trans with coyote swap question

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Tremec makes the TR-4050 5spd manual for 4x4 with SBF and Modular bellhousings...Its 6.16, 3.11, 1.71, 1.00, 0.76 ratios and rated for 600ft lb...I looked long at hard at putting one behind a coyote but opted for the 6R80.
Definitely easier and cleaner than a T56 and advance adapters has lots of bits and pieces for them.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Yeah, I resemble the 24min mark with the boat reference at triple digits... :) (this added later- coming out of 3rd gear) lol

Last edited:

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Yeah, I resemble the 24min mark with the boat reference at triple digits... :)
Hmmmm……Some wide paddle tires and a lake with a nice beach and maybe you wouldn’t need a boat.
I enjoy Jays wry sense of humor…. I‘d be dead if I got this when I was 18 …17….uhh 16 1/2

nvrstuk

Contributor
Always need a boat but dang, it would be FUN! :)

Jamie Chriss

I was thinking about this question this weekend while driving my Bronco, I think the 6R80 drives best in sport mode, at 3500 rpm plus the motor works so well, when it drops into the low 2000s the motor kind of drones. I only have 2500 miles on my Bronco I am still figuring stuff out, but I think a manual trans would be very nice. I don't know anyone running the 10R80 but I think it to many gears.

nvrstuk

Contributor
So just for the heck of it I drove the past two days shifting totally with manual controls with my 6r. On the highway if there's no stops it's not bad. Get to town and as you cruise (5 sq block town) from stop light to stoplight you never get both hands on the strg wheel. This isn't like a 3 spd stick, this is 4-5 shifts every time you take off and 3 more clicks every time you come to a corner and 4-5 clicks at every stop sign.

County roads are bad where I live as I have 4- 90deg turns (or greater) that come from 50 mph to probably 10 or maybe 15mph so you are in 6th and need to shift down to second and then back up to 6th then down to second then ... you get the idea. There is NO way without clicking your momentary on switch to go from 6th directly to 1st without stopping 100% for a full second. So as you coast up to the 90deg turn you go click, click, click,. click. Or in a 10 speed you would have to hit the momentary switch 8 times just to go around my first corner one mile from my house, then 9 more to get up to 10th for the next mile, then 1/2 mile from there (50mph speed limit) you get to repeat clicking 2 more times, then go one more mile...

It's a pita for a 6 spd, I will try it in my 10r with my truck next time I go to town.

UPDATE- with my 10r behind my Coyote in my F150.

IMHO, having to hit my shifter 36 times to go from my driveway to go 2 1/2 miles with only one stop sign and one sharp corner.

Imagine how fun this would be wheeling off road...

Just my 10 cents, but thought I'd post it up for those that haven't thought about it yet.

Last edited:

LHardin

James,

I have learned from your post above about the things you learned - Thanks for that!

I'm about to launch on a complete restoration on a 76 Bronco Coyote Swap and your experience will certainly come in handy.

Thanks for sharing.

Broncojoe74

I wish that I had done more homework before I started my Coyote / 6R80 project.

Here's some things that I learned:

1. Coyote parts are expensive, and changed a LOT during the three Generations of Engine.
2. The engine and transmission are the cheap and easy part of the swap.
3. Very few in the Coyote Swap business is working to make things simple.

I ended up buying the 2 inch wider TDK custome mandrel bent frame...and I am VERY glad that I did. It enabled the Mustang Coyote headers to fit, and theres a ton more room so that you can clock the Dana 20 to allow the front driveshaft to actually fit. Do your homework here!

Do not listen to anyone that says you don't need to modify the oil pan if you have 2.5 inches of lift. If you use the BC Broncos Coyote engine mounts...the oil pan WILL hit the Dana 44 front housing on compression.
Do not listen to anyone that says you can use factory headers. You can, but you can have yours modified. But what they don't tell you is that the mod to the header costs almost as much as new headers. Ugh.
Do not listen to the people that say the front crossmember can be retained. Yeah, maybe...but my custom TDK front crossmember, with the pocket for the accessory drive, and room for the factory oil filter works GREAT!
The cost of the accessory drive, and getting a power steering pump is a BIG expense. You will need to figure out whose system you are going to use, and commit to it. I went with Power By the Hour. It is really good stuff. I used them BECAUSE they are the only game in town that will use your F150 ECM, and configure it to have the Built In 6R80 controller. That saves a ton of wiring, and eliminates an additional aftermarket transmission controller. The Power Pack is just the beginning. You must also have the correct transmission harness, the correct engine harness, and it has to be compatible with your body harness.
Factory starter motor works great with the extra wide frame.

I finally bought it all, and have it all here...and it's really nice.

PM me or e-mail jamesroney@yahoo.com for pics or other info. Hopefully someone can learn from my experience.
Let's see how your build is coming along. I am thinking of doing the same thing but with a stock frame. You help is appreciated.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Let's see how your build is coming along. I am thinking of doing the same thing but with a stock frame. You help is appreciated.
Sold it locally as a project. (Technically traded it for cash and "Snowball" in my sig line.) So I have no further updates. Sorry.

(not sorry that I sold it, but sorry that I won't have updates for you!)

s23218

What is the difference with the 2wd and 4wd versions of these transmissions? I believe the adapter kits say to use the 2wd trans, is this correct? What is the difference and why to use the 2wd setup?

Getting real close to purchasing the coyote and trans and then time for the fun swap!

Thanks
Glen
Hi, You need a 4wd transmission because it has the provision/flange for the Advance Adapters adapter. The 2WD has an integeral output shaft housing which will NOT WORK.