• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'71 Sport.....which Dana in front was stock?

friar93

Loc.
BOSTON
Im going to replace my bearings in the front as a first pass at fixing a grinding sound. I want to make sure I get the right parts.

which Dana came stock on the '71? I think its a Sport. I also think I read that a new model came out 1/2 way through the year? does it matter?

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Does it have 4 bolts on top of the knuckle or 1, that'll tell you.
4 bolts is kingpin 30, 1 nut is a 44.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Both the D 30 and D44 were stock. The D30 was stock from 66 to early 71 about 1/2 way through the year D44 became the standard axle installed and even some of these were kind of hybrid D44's with different inner axle shaft seals than later D44's so you sometimes have to verify before buying seals.
I have a 71 sport made the last part of 71. that has the D44 but I havent looked at the inner seals yet.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think some of the Bronco vendors have identification charts on their websites that show the differences, including the front cover.
I used to tell people who weren't sure, that the Dana 30 cover is symetrical and the Dana 44 cover is slightly odd-shaped, with a taller side and a shorter side.
It's a vague description, at best, but if yours has a symetrical shape, it's likely a 30.
And I believe SoCal Tom is correct. The bearings and seals are all the same. Seal should be a 4250 from about '69 or so. Bearings are Set 37 (inner) and Set 45 (outer) all the way through, if I remember correctly.

But definitely check out one of the vendor's sites to see if they have an ID photo gallery. I'm pretty sure that Wild Horses does. Maybe BC Broncos too.
MrN has a full ID listings chart on his website, which starts here:
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

Paul

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you are doing wheel bearings, then I think both axles used the same wheel bearings.
Tom

That is true. Either axle uses the same wheel bearings. From the spindle out (axle U-joint) both axles are the same. So it doesn't really matter what you have in order to get the right bearings and seals.