• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

72 Bronco basket case: Should I go for it???

grox

Loc.
Broomfield, CO
For the last ten or so years I've been working on Alfa Romeo GTV's. My passion for those little Italian lady's has faded and I've decided to go back to my roots, an early Bronco. I've been searching for my next project for a few weeks now. I have a self-imposed budget of $1,000 or less.

Last week I looked at a 72 Bronco. At the time I decided it would be too much work and I passed. I've done some more research sense then and I wonder if I made a mistake. Also, I can't stop thinking about it! I called the guy and its still available.

So, what I'm wondering is, should I go back and get it?. I know it’s hard to tell without seeing pictures but unfortunately, I didn’t take any.

Details: 1972, basket case. Relatively solid tub but the current owner, intending to make a crawler out of it, cut the front clip off completely. Inner fenders, fender wells, grill support. Everything! He kept all the sheet metal which is included in the sale. Also, both doorposts are rusted out. Rear fenders cut, but not rusty. Floors pretty solid. Good tailgate. Top and glass good. Comes with a builder 302, not installed. About a 3" lift, big tires, etc. He has a yard full of old Bronco parts and assured me that I would leave his house with everything I need to reassemble completely. He's firm on $1,000.

What do ya think?

Last edited:

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I bought a $1K bronco once. Just hauled the last of it off for scrap. The body was pretty bad, but the biggest reason it got scrapped was that the frame was rotten. If you go back for it take a hammer with you and rap on the frame everywhere. If you get a dull thud anywhere do some investigating. Frame repair is a PITA and I personally don't trust 40 year old rusty frames that have been patched and welded up.

I ended up with a drivetrain(everything needed rebuilt) and bought a frame and tub that were in better shape. Cheap rusty Broncos can be a good starting point with the understanding that you will be spending the money saved later. Go take some pics and post them up. You don't want to pay a grand for a $500 Bronco.

What part of the country are you in?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't know, I'd rather pay $1000 for a $500 EB than $10k for a $5k one. If you're unsure whether you want the basket case or not at that price, decide what price you are comfortable with and give the guy a standing offer. Who knows, he might let you walk away now and be calling you in a few weeks or months. Either way, you get it for what you're willing to pay or it goes to someone a little more desperate.

There aren't that many EB's that come up for sale for less than $1000 that aren't total basket cases, so doubling or even tripling your budget may in fact save you a lot of time and money in the long run IMHO.

Tobin

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
I totally agree with everything that has been said and with every thought you have brought up????%)%)%) You're not gonna be happy til you've been throught the whole thing anyway!!!!:cool::cool::cool:

72-Madisyn

Loc.
Medford
I paid 1200 for my basket case a few years back, 72 as well. "rebuilt" motor never fired, and tons of boxes in a solid tub on a solid frame. Motor was junk, 2 inches of water in each cylinder told me to toss it and start over. good thing was no rust, I got a used 302 from a buddy at a good price, all the little junk I needed,( fuel tank,headlights, clips, glass, etc.,) on ebay and I am into mine for 3200 with a WH lift under it, 33's, great running motor, and no regrets. could have just gotten lucky but I say check it out really well then jump on it.

wantone

Mine cost $1000. A year later, and I'm having trouble coming up with $1000 worth of good parts from it. Tomorrow I'm going to go pick up a '74 frame that shouldn't need work (I hope). Just look at all the parts and make sure it's worth it, but on the surface, it sounds like a better deal than mine. Oh yeah, rust is usually about 3 times worse than it looks at first glance.

Good luck, but I'd probably go for it.

OP
OP
grox

grox

Loc.
Broomfield, CO
Thanks for the input guys. I think I had an unrealistically optimistic picture in my head when I went out to look at it. As a result, of course I was disappointed. To be honest, I didn't look it over as much as I should've. And I really should've taken a couple pictures.

Well, it's a long drive out to his farm but you guys have convinced me that its worth another look. If I don't come home with a Bronco, at least I'll take a few pictures so that maybe someone here can grab it.

Ratch

Contributor
Now that you are over the initial disappointment, you can now go back and give it a good looking over without that "oh crap" feeling. The bad news, it's a basket case. The good news? It's a basket case. Disassembled vehicles are good for inspections because there is less to hide the bad stuff. If he is willing to include other parts it sounds like a screaming deal. If the floors, quarters and rockers (be sure to look underneath at the inner rockers and floor supports) are in good shape then you will be getting a good deal.
Door post rot is almost a given on broncos and to be expected. Oh yeah, check the frame real good, especially around where the spring hangars, radius arm mounts, etc. are riveted to the frame. Welcome to the madness. ;D

Bronco Paul

Hey...gotta agree with what's been said...I always hate it when I look back at a finished project and realize that I could have started with a basket case and did the same amount of work! On a vehicle as old as these just go ahead and assume it will need replacing! My '70 cost me $1500 and it was a steal! I have $2800 into it now and it's my daily driver until my restoration is done on my other Bronco. The frame is a little too rusty in places for my taste and it looks like I'll be ordering a new one in the next couple of years...but add it into the cost of a complete restoration and it's not that bad...or the cost of a new vehicle...that's my argument stopper for any little lady that complains about my Bronco obsession! ...although it only works on one...the second, third, four, etc...well...they're all just expensive money pits!