• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

72 Bronco value I recently acquired a 72 Bronco that has been sitting for a long time. It has a lot of rust but the body is not beat up. 302 engine

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I assume you want a value so you can try to sell?

If so much more info needed.
Runs and drives, or not?
Automatic or standard?
All there, or missing top, doors, etc, etc?

Pictures are worth a thousand words!

OP
OP
D

Deweybee

Well I have the title. It says it’s a 72 S Wagon. Looks like most of the parts are there. It is missing the front drive shaft. Not sure how to post a picture on here. I only have a few but can get more.

rockinrich

Contributor
Well I have the title. It says it’s a 72 S Wagon. Looks like most of the parts are there. It is missing the front drive shaft. Not sure how to post a picture on here. I only have a few but can get more.
I believe you have to be a contributor to be able to post pics.12 bucks a year,well worth the help you get on this site!

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
You DO NOT have to be a contributor to post pics......there is at least one other way to do so.

Ready the STICKY by ADMIN on how to upload pictures.

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
@Deweybee - ok here's your photo, and I understand you'll be taking more photos. Really tough to tell what you have without more pics, but when you have a chance to get more, it would be helpful to have some of under the hood, in the passenger compartment, floors front and rear, rocker panels, door posts, under the hood, etc. It would also be helpful to know if the engine is running or at least confirm that it's not stuck/frozen.

Having said that, I think I'm looking at a $10,000 Bronco, give or take $5k. In other words, if it's rusted out badly (i.e., worse than it appears and really needs a re-body) then you're looking at about $5k. If it cleans up nicely, maybe $15k? Again, I could be off here, but looks like there's some rocker panel rust on the driver's side and based on what you say in your initial post, it must have a fair bit of rust.

If you want to post your location, there's likely someone nearby who could inspect in person.

thumbnail_IMG_0795.jpg

FYI - if you're going to try to start it after it sitting for a while, here's the process that I use -

OP
OP
D

Deweybee

@Deweybee - I sent you a private message with my e mail address. If you e mail me the pictures, I will post them in this thread.

Scott
Thanks Scott. I pulled the carpet back up front and the front floor pan is rusted out in places. Also the door jams have some holes. I understand this is fairly common in these old broncos. The engine is a 302. Looks intact but has not run in many years. Thanks for your input. My wife wants me to restore it but looks like a lot of money to me. I’m in Cobb county Ga. I will have to evaluate everything further before I commit. Thanks again

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Thanks Scott. I pulled the carpet back up front and the front floor pan is rusted out in places. Also the door jams have some holes. I understand this is fairly common in these old broncos. The engine is a 302. Looks intact but has not run in many years. Thanks for your input. My wife wants me to restore it but looks like a lot of money to me. I’m in Cobb county Ga. I will have to evaluate everything further before I commit. Thanks again

Front floor pan rust is common and not terribly difficult to fix. You're correct on the door posts and striker posts - rust here is common, too. Replacement panels are readily available but this area is exceptionally important for the structural integrity of the tub and it's not as easy to fix correctly.

If the truck has sentimental value, I'd say go for it, but a quality restoration would be a fairly expensive proposition. On the flip side, they hold their value well, so you could potentially get it done right and not be upside down in it.

Cobb county is a nice area. I spent two tours at Ft Benning, just down the road from you, and our daughter was born there.

Good luck, and feel free to hit me up on e mail or pm with any further questions.

Scott