• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

76 Half Cab Resto Mod Idea

oc_skip

Getting ready to do a restore on my 76. I live at the beach. It will be a beach buggy. Not traveling long distances. Not trying to win contests or sell for stupid prices. It has an existing half cab. Will be removing doors. Here is the thought. Instead of a bimini, what about removing the rear window and bulkhead of the half cab, beefing it up where needed, and leaving it open. Anyone done that. Seems maybe cool.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I personally think those are very cool. I believe it was done by someone here, so hopefully they’ll see this and post up some pictures.
You could even do it with a full top for a little sun and sand protection for the rear passengers if you have any. I don’t imagine you have a seat back there at the moment, so I don’t know what you intend for the back in general.
But a Safari style short hardtop would be ultra cool

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Has it been with you there at the beach for long? Have you already done some things to keep rust to a minimum?
These things rust in the desert sometimes, so being at the beach is a triple whammy.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I made a 1/2 cab out of a full top and left the back open. Similar to what you are proposing. It worked very well. I sold it when I went a different direction with my trail rig. It did not work with a narrowed semi-buggy build.

The soft doors and the "windjammer" worked pretty good in the winter to help keep the chill off!

Attachments

• DSC02526 - Copy.JPG
    DSC02526 - Copy.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC02529.JPG
    DSC02529.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 32

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Gives you an idea anyway.

Mines been done that way for 11 yrs. My buddy did it before me back in the mid '90's. I have been running my windscreen for quite a while in it now and never seem to get pics of it with the windscreen comepletely out. These were done way before the Windjammer was marketed.

Definitely some great advantages to doing this. Love mine and wouldn't go back to a regular sized 1/2 cab. On my DD/wheeling rig (blue one) I built the 1/2 cab sides and I made them longer than stock.

I have a slammed, chopped, 2wd Bronco thread going on right now that I am doing similar things with it's 1/2 cab also. Bulkhead is removed, window will be removed, seat moved back appr 3" but it's chopped over 3" .

Bulkhead will soon be missing so I have more room for excellent buckets like I did on this one.

1st pic on left shows how on mine the windscreen allows you to unsnap it from the B pillar hoop an reattach it to the angled pcs that go towards the tailgate. My wife came up with that idea for creating shade for the dogs when cruising around Bluff in the canyons south of Moab.

2nd just shows how the scree disappears from the rear

3rd pic (far right) shows how ugly it looks when you got the back COMPLETETLY covered in mud and it wasn't brushed clean afterwards! HAHA

Couldn't find any pics w/o the screen- too long ago.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220322-212454_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220322-212454_Gallery.jpg
    676.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20220322-212800_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220322-212800_Gallery.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20220322-212901_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220322-212901_Gallery.jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I would not chop up a half cab top but I would chop up a full top to make a midi top resolving the too tight passenger compartment.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio

Attachments

• bd roof3.JPG
    bd roof3.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 26
  • bd roof6.JPG
    bd roof6.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 18
  • bd roof8.JPG
    bd roof8.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 19
  • chmsl5.JPG
    chmsl5.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 19
  • chmsl7.JPG
    chmsl7.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 23
  • vanity 3.JPG
    vanity 3.JPG
    252.6 KB · Views: 24

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I personally think those are very cool. I believe it was done by someone here, so hopefully they’ll see this and post up some pictures.
You could even do it with a full top for a little sun and sand protection for the rear passengers if you have any. I don’t imagine you have a seat back there at the moment, so I don’t know what you intend for the back in general.
But a Safari style short hardtop would be ultra cool
yes sir...