• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

79 E150 Tilt Column Wiring

bronccar

Trying to match up 79 E150 column harness to EB Centech. Centech side covered, this is best I could find for the 79 E150 / F150

Thanks for any help.

wiring.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does your column have the cruise-control function too? Are you planning to utilize it on your EB?
It'd be slick for sure, but changes the way it's wired too obviously.

Also, since Ford was only semi-consistent with their column wiring, any chance you can shoot a good photo of the wires as they come out of the column so we can see the colors exactly?
Or at least post up a list of your current colors so we can make better educated guesses.;);D

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
bronccar

bronccar

Not planning on cruise - great idea but I didn't get the wheel.

Sure! I'll shoot that over in a bit.

Thanks!

OP
OP
bronccar

bronccar

Bc had the instructions for the 78-79 f-150 tilt column swap online. Not sure if they still do

Thanks - their lack of a re-direct to the new had been driving me crazy - until now when I want to get to the old site and I can't lol.

Their re-direct is finally working.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I see most of the ones you'd expect to see.
Here's what I wrote up from the book for another guy doing the same thing:

Here are some basics of the wiring from the column:

1. Black w/red - IN from brake light switch on pedal.
2. Blue - IN from turn signal flasher unit.
3. White w/red - IN from hazard flasher unit.
4. Green w/white - OUT to left FRONT turn signal and dash indicator.
5. Yellow w/black - OUT to left REAR brake light and turn signal.
6. Green - OUT to right REAR brake light and turn signal.
7. White w/blue - OUT to right FRONT turn signal and indicator.
8. Yellow - Power IN for the horn.

9. Blue w/yellow - ***OUT to the horn, or horn relay.
10. Yellow w/green - ***Probably not in the column wiring. Should be from the relay to the horn(s)
*** - Your column wiring may include one, or both of those wires. Let us know which it is and we can make sure to wire the horn correctly.
11. Black - If present, this is a ground for the horn and speed control switch. Could be grounded internally to the column, or may exit in the connector. Either way it needs to be grounded.
12. Blue w/red - is for shift position indicator(PRNDL) illumination if your column has it. Should be a replaceable light bulb in the turn signal switch that shines up into the clear plastic PRNDL indicator.

Not sure if yours was out of a truck with a horn relay or not. For some reason Ford did not use relays on every truck. I think if it had cruise control, it utilized a horn relay. Min '79 did not come with CC and did not have a horn relay until I added it.
A horn relay is one of those things that should have been on every Ford truck from the beginning. Kind of like headlights and heaters.

When it comes right down to it, re-wiring a Bronco often includes testing the column wiring to make sure it does what you expect it to do. Then you have to interpret what Centech is saying about the horn wiring one way and the other. They include a horn relay in their kit, but it's not always used the same way, depending on the column wiring.

Good luck.

Paul