• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

8/11/1965: The Bronco was Introduced Fifty Years Ago TODAY!!!

Broncitis

MEB Founder
One of the photos my friend Harry who worked at FoMoCo got out of the Arizona Proving Grounds archives before Ford sold it off.

This is where the initial R&D was done, hence the "Birthplace of the Bronco" that was on the original photo he found in their archives while he was there testing one time.

Attachments

• Bronco at APG.jpg
    Bronco at APG.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 39

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I believe Chrysler bought APG from Ford. It would be cool to see if ACB could arrange an event or "track day" there next year. Hint, hint.... :)

Probably not likely, but you never know until you ask.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I believe Chrysler bought APG from Ford. It would be cool to see if ACB could arrange an event or "track day" there next year. Hint, hint.... :)

Probably not likely, but you never know until you ask.

The EBR was part of an event there back in 2005 or 2006 (iirc) about a year before the APG was sold when they celebrated their 50th anniversary. All the participants got to do a lap too (very slowly) in their vehicles. I stood on an overhead bridge and took some pictures - pretty cool sight. I also got a few high speed laps back in '92 when I interviewed for a job there. I didn't get to go on any of the "off road" roads though. I think it would be cool to try and travel on some of their off road testing course but I don't have any contacts there anymore - I used to know a few folks there through SAE.

Ford now uses the Volvo test track near Phoenix for their testing but I don't believe they have any dirt sections there though.

Maybe our CB member that works at another OEM's test track could comment..

Todd Z.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
The EBR was part of an event there back in 2005 or 2006 (iirc) about a year before the APG was sold when they celebrated their 50th anniversary. All the participants got to do a lap too (very slowly) in their vehicles. I stood on an overhead bridge and took some pictures - pretty cool sight. I also got a few high speed laps back in '92 when I interviewed for a job there. I didn't get to go on any of the "off road" roads though. I think it would be cool to try and travel on some of their off road testing course but I don't have any contacts there anymore - I used to know a few folks there through SAE.

Ford now uses the Volvo test track near Phoenix for their testing but I don't believe they have any dirt sections there though.

Maybe our CB member that works at another OEM's test track could comment..

Todd Z.

Nice! I did not know you guys ever did that. I'm sure that was really fun and a cool experience!