• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'93 Bronco 5.8 engine swap EFI question - California Edition

Duke Nukem

Loc.
Simi Valley
I was able to pick up a '93 Bronco with a tired 5.0. Since the truck has a Speed Density EFI system, the simple think to do would be to drop in a remanufactured 5.0 and call it done. However, my preference would be to use this as an opportunity to upgrade to a 351W.

That said, it should be noted that I live in the state of Kalifornia, where guns and broncos are no longer politically correct. More importantly, I want the vehicle to be CARB compliant so that there are no issues getting it smogged and registered.

So... my question is whether this can be done in a way that isn't overly complicated. Assuming a bone stock 5.8, can this be done by simply swapping out the 5.0 speed density computer for a 5.8 speed density computer? Would I also need to swap out the wiring harness?

Here's what I'm thinking would be needed:
* 5.8 fuel rail
* 5.8 lower (not sure if the 5.0 upper mates to the 5.8 lower)
* 5.8 distributor
* 5.8 speed density ECU
* 5.8 wiring harness? (not sure if I can reuse the 5.0 wiring harness)
* New exhaust

Is it that simple, or am I opening up a can of worms. Alternatively, I can drop in another 302, but it would be a damn shame.

anoblefox

Contributor
can this be done in a way that isn't overly complicated? NO
You would need everything from the donor vehicle, and it will not fit under your hood. Too bad we both live in Calif. There may be other opinions that follow, but this is mine.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You'd have to convince them it's a 5.0 too I think. Not sure if it still stands, but the old rule was you could update the engine, but not upgrade the engine. Basically since the 351 was never offered in an EB, you could not put one in and remain compliant. Only if you put an EFI 301/5.0 in.

You could run the 5.8, then put the Lightning lower intake and the Explorer upper and call it an Explorer engine. Maybe they won't notice.;D

Paul

Last edited:

Mark1911

I am pretty sure the 1993 bronco had a 5.8L option, it would be easier to find a donor f-150 or bronco 5.8L take out or contact the bureau of automotive repair and ask them what will be required to do the 5.8L change over.

Mark

da_offroadnut

I've done this on a 89 Bronco in California, yours might be a little different in the harness and computer. I used 5.8 upper/lower manifolds, 5.8 Distro and computer. I reused the harness only had to move knock sensor, reused fuel rail, they fit when you extend the rubber hoses on the ends. wasn't too hard over all, but learn from my mistake, I reused my 302 flex plate and blew my freshly rebuilt tranny, so get correct one for the motor / trans. 302 headers fit but since the 351W is wider you collectors will need to be reworked. Did not need to go to CARB Ref station as in 89 the bronco was offered with the 351W so it was considered a replacement.

I do still have the computers, manifolds, some other misc parts from the 351W when i pulled it and scrapped the truck.

OP
OP
Duke Nukem

Duke Nukem

Loc.
Simi Valley
After doing research and giving this a lot of thought, I'm going to replace the 5.0 and leave it at that. Gives me an excuse to retire somewhere else when the time comes.

Thanks for the replies.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well the 351/5.8 with truck EFI would not have fit anyway, so that part is not much of a loss.
But what year is your Bronco? You have a '76 or '77 and still have to go through the regular smog checks?

paul

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
I think there may be some confusion here. We are on a classic Bronco forum, but the OP'r is asking about swapping the 5.0 in his 93 Bronco to a 5.8.

Maybe??

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good call! I read the first post three times and still missed that point. Thought Duke was putting the 5.8 into a Bronco and using some of the stuff from the existing 5.0. Kind of went way out in left field when all he was asking was how hard it would be to put the larger engine in the '93 instead! Oh well, didn't mean to confuse the issue.

Looking at it that way, with the 351 being an option in '93, there's literally no stumbling block that I can think of for swapping in the 5.8 where the 5.0 was previously.
Could be wrong, but I think it's that simple. As was being asked in the first post. And as Mark caught, but I still didn't.

Thanks for bringing clarity Teal!

Paul