• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aluminum Radiator Coolant/Anode

mnido

I did some research but got a little overwhelmed with all the information available. I have a new Champion aluminum radiator , and complete new cooling system, and a rebuilt motor. Is it recommended you ground and install a sacrificial anode ? Or is it one or the other ? And, I plan on adding distilled water. Is the a special coolant to use ? Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm still not completely up on the whole grounded-vs-ungrounded thing, but an anode is not a bad idea and should work either way.

The biggest culprit in deterioration seems to be a combination of long flush intervals and especially a bad electrical system overall. If the coolant becomes too much a part of the electrical system and carries too much voltage through it, accelerated electrolysis is the result.
Unfortunately, aluminum just happens to be a more sensitive metal to this process.

Trusted names like Ron Davis recommend grounding the radiator, but I don't remember ever seeing a factory aluminum radiator grounded to the chassis. They might exist, it's just that I haven't noticed any.

I'm sure some will join this conversation with better info, but until then it's not a bad practice to add the sacrificial anode. Whether in the radiator cap or a drain plug, it can't hurt.

Distilled water is good, and you should be able to use any type of coolant you want since you're starting new. Generally speaking though, I would either just continue to use the good old fashioned Green stuff, or better yet one of the relatively new ones that are compatible with all types, and change it every two years (consistently) rather than go to the fancier new high-mileage types. Easier to remain compatible that way, and is safer for when you need a top-off and somebody's only got one type of coolant handy.
You definitely don't want to mix the Green and Orange varieties if you don't have to. And if you do, get it out of there and flushed as soon as you can or you might have a brown gooey mess on your hands.
That's why I say use the multi-brand compatible stuff. Even if it's a little more, it's probably worth it.

The new waterless coolant is pretty neat stuff, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

Paul

bbow

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ozark, Alabama
I have one of the champion radiators. I did install the anode. I used one that fit in the drain. I just used regular old anti freeze.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Take a volt meter stick one end to the chassis/ground and stick the other end in the coolant.

That and some other interesting things came up when I searched this.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Ford went through the same confusion, and eventually recommended AGAINST electrifying the coolant, in any way. Read the first TSB (the last one published) in this caption:

The older ones are there just for reference.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think you will find most if not all modern aluminum rads to be rubber or plastic mounted and therefore not susceptible to galvanic action. Bottom line, make sure you are using the rubber radiator clamps and not letting it go to ground. Same for heater core.

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

Thank You guys. I have decided not to ground, use an anode, and good old Prestone green. Thank You again.

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
I used one that fit in my drain plug..... Think I got mine from JBG

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My Ron Davis has been grounded since 2005, haven't noticed any issues. Should it not be grounded? I run the cap from WH with the anode thingy on it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My recommendation is usually that if it's working for you, leave it alone.

Whether good or bad, your radiators are lasting longer than a lot of them seem to. So whatever you're doing, whether the grounding, the quality of your maintenance, the condition of your electrical system, or the alignment of the planets, if you're not having corrosion or wear issues, it's working.

Paul