• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone put a weld here, steering shift to box

broncoP

Contributor
Anyone put a weld where my screedriver is, it's close to seal. Some splines are worn, ujoint fits on snug, would just make me feel better.. Set screw will help too

Attachments

• 20210210_151640.jpg
    20210210_151640.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 193

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Don't do it. There's a tiny torsion bar inside the input shaft with a tiny oring keeping it from leaking out the end.

Jebus

Loc.
Longview, WA
I used TBP's intermediate shaft similar to the pic. I did not like the one locking set screw on the box end yoke. I torqued the set screw with red locktite. I taped up the steering box input seal as good as possible. I then used wick and lock on the splines/yoke area making sure it did not run into the steering box seal. I marked the set screw and yoke for reference with a paint stick. I check it often and it has not moved...

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
As stated above, do NOT weld that shaft. If you insist on using the horrible, terrible, awful, unsafe, and unreliable Borgeson / Flaming River joint, then do not use the set screw.

At a minimum, replace the socket head set screw and pal nut with a grade 5 hex head cap screw and grade 8 jam nut. (I recommend grade 5 in case you have to drill it out someday.)

Cross Drill the head of the cap screw, tighten the jam nut, and safety wire it in place.

I had one fall out, and the intermediate shaft fell off at about 45 MPH. Steering wheel just spun around and around. Never again for me. So I run the big factory spicer joint with the pinch bolt clamp. Let’s you know when it’s loose, and never falls off.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
drill and tap the u-joint for another set screw. red loctite on a set screw will cause you trouble down the road when you strip the small allen set screw.