• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Back in the saddle again..few questions

ddm156

Its been two years and two weeks since I purchased my 72. Ive had it apart since, and now finally have an inspection sticker on it and turning heads all over the place. Anyway, just a few questions I had after driving it today. Temperature...never really tested the guage for accuracy, but I was holding 120 while driving, 170 at start up after was running for a while...all good?
Oil pressure...10 at start up, 70 while driving...about 40 at idle after driving...normal?
Noticed a squeaking/screeching kind of noise coming from the passenger rear wheel at a certain spot as the wheel rotates at slow speed...im thinking bearing...?? any other suggestions?
ammeter guage...all the way at the d...I probably have the wire backwards, right?
That should be all for now...great to be on the road, just in time for summer.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Yep wheel bearing....
I don't think polarity matters on an ammeter....????
Not sure I understand the temp gauge question????

OP
OP
ddm156

ddm156

From reading up on the ammeter, a wire just runs through the loop on the back of the guage...and the reading is sensed??? i thought...whatever, anyway...the temp-obiously no considered reading on initial start. once warm holds at 120. say i turn the truck off, then go into a hunting store to pick up some conibear traps, when i return to the truck and start it, the temp reads 170, then as i cruise down the road, returns to 120...follow me now?

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
On my new rebuilt 302, I put in a 180 degree stat and the guage consistently reads between 175 and 190 (ambient daytime temperature in Oregon currently is between 60 and 85 degrees.) When it hits 190 you can tell it is opening because it drops down to ~175 and the cycle continues... pretty acurate for a small guage.

My oil pressure runs pretty stable at ~40 lbs.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
From reading up on the ammeter, a wire just runs through the loop on the back of the guage...and the reading is sensed??? i thought...whatever, anyway...the temp-obiously no considered reading on initial start. once warm holds at 120. say i turn the truck off, then go into a hunting store to pick up some conibear traps, when i return to the truck and start it, the temp reads 170, then as i cruise down the road, returns to 120...follow me now?

Yep thats an inductive ammeter for you, that loop is a coil of wire and the magnetic field created by the flowing current (through the center of the loop)induces current flow through the coil. The coil's current flow powers the gauge. The gauge may be broken, I don't use an ammeter anymore after a little almost fire incedent. I prefer an aftermarket volt meter.

Other than being a little on the cool side the behavior is normal. If its too cool for you try swapping in a 195 t-stat. The reson it goes up when sitting is becuse the water isn't flowing and the block/manifold is heating the water up in the area of the sensor. Mine does the same thing but it runs around 180 and when I turn it off it goes up to like 210. Comes right back down once its running again.

canrel

Loc.
Bakersfield Ca.
If the temp starts out cold, at start-up, reaches 120 then moves up or down slightly as you drive, I would check your gauge.
Jack up the wheel you hear the squeaking noise from, grabthe tire and wiggle it top to bottom, if loose check wheel bearings for wear and propper tightening. If not loose spin wheel by hand and listen for sound, sometimes the backing plates can get bent and rub the drum or disc.