• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake-clutch assembly bolt removal???

Dave's1971

Is it possible to reach the securing weld nuts that hold the clutch/brake assembly in place? One of the upper nuts has rusted where it is welded in and spins when trying to remove the bolt. The nut seems to be in a metal channel…

TIA!!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Someone will reply with the exact information I’m sure, but it seems like that channel is open into the inner cowl area. Which means to get to it you have to pull the cowl top plate off.
Which is not a small job because it’s all welded.
But many people have done it and they sell replacement plates simply because that is a huge rust prone area on Broncos.
Not a short term issue, but now that they are all getting towards 50 years old and older, rusted out cowls are getting more and more common.

Good luck. Hopefully it’s not that dire.
But be ready for the worst anyway…

OP
OP
D

Dave's1971

Someone will reply with the exact information I’m sure, but it seems like that channel is open into the inner cowl area. Which means to get to it you have to pull the cowl top plate off.
Which is not a small job because it’s all welded.
But many people have done it and they sell replacement plates simply because that is a huge rust prone area on Broncos.
Not a short term issue, but now that they are all getting towards 50 years old and older, rusted out cowls are getting more and more common.

Good luck. Hopefully it’s not that dire.
But be ready for the worst anyway…
Thanks DirtDonk. My temp fix (which probably will last longer than me) is shown. I cut out above the nut and now will clean up underneath and mount a plate with new bolt on top which spans the channel metal. All pressure on the system is going down so this should be adequate :). Tried to post a pic… no luck😕

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Yeah, I just bolted mine in there and can assure you, there is no way that I could see. It doesn’t go through, at least on a ‘76 and probably none and when you put back in, make sure not to use too long of a bolt or it’ll push your cowl up in a spot if you try hard to push through.

If it were me, I’d cut the head and then cut a spot to the side so you don’t lose the integrity of the brace or cut it all and weld a new plate on there. That brace is very important for your pedal assembly, so don’t skimp on the fix.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Thanks DirtDonk. My temp fix (which probably will last longer than me) is shown. I cut out above the nut and now will clean up underneath and mount a plate with new bolt on top which spans the channel metal. All pressure on the system is going down so this should be adequate :). Tried to post a pic… no luck😕
Dave, all it takes to post pics is becoming a contributor. $12/year gets that contributor status. There’s a place in here somewhere that gives the instructions but I don’t remember where it is.

Randy