• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broken bolt removal inline 6

Gsav69

Contributor
Hey folks. My dumbass ordered a borgeson power steering kit for the inline 6 that mounts to the drivers side of the motor beteeen the disributor and radiator hose to the two holes on either side of a freeze out plug. Of course i never looked at the mounting point and i have a busted bolt in the left (closest to front) hole thats a little below flush. There is def not a ton of meat to drill it out put an insert in with the same size bolt. I am a novice welder at best and wonder if I should try and weld a washer and bolt and back it out or drill it out. I'd post a pic but I'm unable. Thx in advance.

blade

Contributor
Maker of sharp things
Loc.
Santa Fe
Welding a washer and then a nut to the broken bolt is a good way to remove it because the heat helps the piece come loose. if it's really seized in there another option is to drill it out a size larger and tap new threads.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, Hanson makes very short ez outs for broken bolts where there is not a lot of depth and you can't use the longer spiral ez outs. Hanson # 53228. Put some tape on the drill bit so you don't drill into the block. I use left hand drill bits for broken bolts. Sometimes you get lucky and the left hand drill will spin out the broken piece. Good luck

OP
OP
G

Gsav69

Contributor
Hey guys. I bought a welder years ago and never learned how to really use it. Watched 100 videos of dudes making it look easy so i tried to weld a washer and nut to the bolt. Tried to create the same scenario on a vise and after practicing for hours I failed miserably when I went live. the good news, I was able to drill it and saved the threads. Thanks to everyone for your help. The bolt in there was a stuck in there good but was shallow.

LHardin

Hey guys. I bought a welder years ago and never learned how to really use it. Watched 100 videos of dudes making it look easy so i tried to weld a washer and nut to the bolt. Tried to create the same scenario on a vise and after practicing for hours I failed miserably when I went live. the good news, I was able to drill it and saved the threads. Thanks to everyone for your help. The bolt in there was a stuck in there good but was shallow.
I have a Doctorate from the University of YouTube. LOL

YouTube has some great videos on how to weld, especially when using a Mig welder. Since you have the equipment, you should give it a try since it really is easy once you learn the basics (types of metal, the importance of clean and beveled surfaces, and heat control). I just replaced my antique Mig welder, and the new welders make it so easy with charts telling you what settings to use before you attempt bugger welds, or you burn through the sheet metal). Youve got this.

OP
OP
G

Gsav69

Contributor
I have a Doctorate from the University of YouTube. LOL

YouTube has some great videos on how to weld, especially when using a Mig welder. Since you have the equipment, you should give it a try since it really is easy once you learn the basics (types of metal, the importance of clean and beveled surfaces, and heat control). I just replaced my antique Mig welder, and the new welders make it so easy with charts telling you what settings to use before you attempt bugger welds, or you burn through the sheet metal). Youve got this.
That's the plan. 😊