• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco weigh loss plan (FiTech install)

77-302

Loc.
Canton, MI
Ok so the weight loss is by me..not my truck.
over 10lbs so far working in this God awful heat!
I like telling my Bronco stories to my Bronco family because no one else can relate to the Pride and anguish that is Bronco ownership.

Like many I ordered my FiTech a LONG time ago.
It finally arrived July 8th... I ordered March 6th from Jegs.

In prep for my order in March, (when it was still cold out), I finished up my 3G alternator, 1993 explorer radiator and Dorman (Taurus fan) installation. I used the Flex-a-lite variable controller and later switched out the fin probe sensor for the actual sensor into the new Thermostat housing. I started to install my late model Ford coolant overflow/washer fluid tank and finally I also put on my $100 craigslist Edelbrock dual plane performer intake.
But since March... the truck has sat.... and sat... and sat....

I didn't start this project intending to go to Fuel injection, but after finding out the hard way that my new intake+2bbl adaptor+PCV/blocked EGR spacer= no hood clearance to my low profile Ford Racing/2.25" K&N air cleaner...
I then looked at 4bbl carbs... and quickly came to the conclusion that the Fitech was the better option (with the rebate).

Fitech install was pretty straight forward.
My biggest issue was the damn push lock AN fittings....
I'm 6'3" and 265 and putting all my weight into these things barely got them seated, even with WD-40/grease/oil... lots of cussing and pushing finally got them together. My only other complaint was the O2 sensor came with this slick set up to attach the bung with a gasket and two bands (i will weld it later) to tighten on the collector... only problem is the bands bottom out at 3" diameter... my collector is only 2.5"... so off to the autoparts store.

I ran the vent line back to the vent on my Aux tank. I also took some time to clean up all the included wiring with loom and routed new heater hose (since the Edelbrock doesn't have a rear water crossover). I took the time to replace all my vacuum hoses and read the instructions multiple times.
After running the ignition (white wire), Coil/tach Blue wire, Red to battery, and orange to fuel commander and a ground wire....
I plugged in the touch screen tool and turned the key on...
The screen powers on, I enter all my engine info.
Then after double checking all my connections I started to crank it over... watched as fuel filled my clear in-line filter from the mechanical pump into the fuel commander third crank and voila!
She fired right up.
Though I immediately shut it off because I could see a fine stream of fuel leaking from one of my connections... another 1/4 turn and it was gone.
Cranked and it again fired right up.

Idle was high at first but as it learned it tried to bring it down....
It was still around 1100-1000 RPM.
From other write ups I knew to look for the secondaries adjustment screw... couple of turns and the idle drops to 850... holding steady...
WOW so far I'm impressed.
I was able to use my stock throttle linkage though I am in the process of installing a Lokar Kickdown cable as there is no provision for the stock Kickdown...

So engine is warming up, then I notice a coolant leak from my tstat housing... Dammit! so I shut it down... let it cool and fixed that the next day.

Tstat fixed now it's time for a test drive...
I put it in reverse and nothing.
SIDE NOTE: The end of last season I had been having cold trans issues.
The C4 didn't want to engage in Drive unless it was A) warm B) some throttle to build line pressure. But it was 90 degrees out and the truck had been running for 15min...
I had inspected it when I previously tore into my parking pawl linkage issue last season but now I'm pissed.
New Fuel injection, cooling fan, radiator, alternator, overflow bottle and wiper wash motor, new LED headlights and drop pitman arm.... and I can't go anywhere.
Much less that it is mid-July...and more than half of my Bronco driving season is over.....since I was waiting for parts.

So I start the painful process of coming to the reality of tearing into the trans... but first I start doing some research... I found a few people on the forums who had similar issues including disappearing trans fluid. I had put in a B&M pan when I did the parking Pawl and added the additional 2 quarts but was still having issues.
Not to mention I had small leaks/drips.

So now out of curiosity I pulled the fill plug from the D20, The same D20 I had just done a complete rebuild of last spring... Out comes probably a gallon+ of trans fluid. (of which I was not ready for..) after cleaning the mess and cursing the Bronco Gods I now had a reason for my trans issues.
But why?
Did I nick the new o-ring on the input shaft?
Did the new lip seal on the input shaft fail?

Exhaust comes out, followed by the drive shafts, followed by the cross member... then finally the T-case comes out, which everyone knows is a huge P-I-T-A...

First thing I noticed was that the input shaft (with tcase in neutral) would spin like a roller skate wheel... not good...
I pull the adapter off, pull the input shaft out, hoping the large needle bearings stay put!!!!
They do....
Oring looks fine... no issues and I had done the belt and suspenders with a thin bead of RTV around the lip of the housing all of which was in tact.
Put the assembly in the vice and tap out the shaft with the bearing...
Turn it over and the lip seal falls out into my hand.
Bingo...
But why???
I grab the calipers and compare it to the new seal I had just picked up from my local Bronco vendor.
Old seal ID was too big
Old seal OD was too small
This seal was sold to me as the correct seal almost 2 years ago....
I'm 99% sure that this is the reason why the tcase filled with trans fluid. Which those small leaks/drips were actually from the vent caps on the adapter and the tcase... not actual leaks...
I'm also fairly certain that the transmission behavior was due to low fluid since the t-case was consuming it... a lot of it....

I drove the new seal into the housing (much tighter this time).
Reassembled everything with new gaskets, torqued fasteners...
Turned the shaft and it had much more drag on it now.

While I was finishing everything, I even took the time to change the oil and then re-fill trans with some fresh type F....
I didn't have time for a test drive last night.
But I will for sure today... after work...
Morel of the story, when replacing a part deep inside any assembly... check the dimensions... I don't blame the bronco store.. stuff happens... I'm just glad (knock on wood) that this is likely the reason for the trans issue.

Stay tuned for my Fitech updates... going from a 2bbl with the original cast iron intake and mechanical fan, to a 4bbl dual plane intake, fuel injection and electric fan should have freed up some ponies... I bet that she is going to feel like a completely new vehicle....

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
WHEW!!I'M exhausted just reading all that.Sounds like your doing everything right bud,persistence is the name of this bronco game,I know I've been there.My build is finally can I say that again "finally" coming to an end with a drive this weekend and tidy up all the wiring and get her on the road,good luck brother your on the home stretch now. :cool:;D:)

OP
OP
77-302

77-302

Loc.
Canton, MI
WHEW!!I'M exhausted just reading all that.Sounds like your doing everything right bud,persistence is the name of this bronco game,I know I've been there.My build is finally can I say that again "finally" coming to an end with a drive this weekend and tidy up all the wiring and get her on the road,good luck brother your on the home stretch now. :cool:;D:)

I was never good at telling a short story.... besides what's the fun in that? ;D
I'm hanging this seal on the wall as a reminder for the future. On a side note I do consider myself one of the fastest t-case removers in the Bronco world. Its been out and back in no less than 5 times since I bought the truck...each time I learn something new...

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA
Good to make progress!

I too was doing a Go EFI conversion. That part went fairly smooth. I had rebuilt my Unilite with a petronix igniter and was getting no spark. Talked to FItech and they said it is not compatible. So bought a new MSD and it started right up. I tired the electric fan, but not the Taurus. It didn't cool enough for me. I went back to the mech fan and it cools a bit too well.

My stupid. Cleaned up the oil pan decided to put RTV with perma dry gasket even though I didn't do it last time. Big leak out back of pan. pulled it and found the gasket had slipped in a bit around the crank. Friend reminded me they say no RTV. Which is not quite correct "RTV should be used on the engine block at the joints created by the front cover and the rear main bearing cap - 4 areas in total. RTV should only be used on the engine block side, and it will come into contact with the gasket when the gasket and pan are installed, which is ok. No RTV should be used on the gasket itself". I think my pan lip was deformed or something as the new gasket did alsmost the same, but I can reuse this gasket. I ordered a new oil pan.

Had a leak from my rear driver side axle. Finally pulled it and like you was sold the wrong one from Auto Zone. The ID was too big. Got the right one from Tom's bronco parts.

As a side note in my test drives I had a couple times the idle didn't go back down to idle. FI tech said to "try going in your initial set up, reset learned, highlight number 4 reset IAC learn. Send the ECU"

Good luck with the rest of your conversion.

OP
OP
77-302

77-302

Loc.
Canton, MI
Updated...
Test drive has completed. After finding a dry rotted vacuum modulator hose, and replacing she was shifting through the gears nicely. I still need to make adjustments to get the idle down. it will hold around 875-900 warm but flares between shifting from Park to Drive or Reverse. New issue popped up... after filling my two tanks I looked like the Exxon Valdez... pulling away from the gas station. Leaking fuel is never good or safe... Got it home and took out the aux tank with manual tools as I didn't want a spark... Found the Aux tank split on the seam so a new one is on order... In the mean time I'm going to mess with the FiTech setting to get the IAC steps down to the recommended 5-10....
Throttle response is good, Truck definitely seems to have more pep.
Despite a hot day and some Wide Open Throttle runs it only got up to 215 degrees and then started dropping again. I will check to make sure my cooling system doesn't have any air trapped...