• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 automatic shift linkage same as three on the tree?

C_Man69EB

Friends, I'm a bit desperate. I'm doing a C4 conversion on a Bronco for a customer. Transmission is installed, everything's going great. I'm finishing up the shift linkage.

I bought the entire conversion from a member of the list. It came with a rod that connects the automatic column to the gear selector on the transmission. Amazingly, it fits perfect, but it looks identical to the longer Rod that came out of the truck with the manual 3 speed.

Were they identical from the factory? In my photo, here, the two rods on the bottom came off of the 3 speed manual, but the upper Rod is what was provided as the shift rod for the automatic from the seller who sold me the conversion kit.

It could be just an accident on his part or they could be the same?

Attachments

• 20190527_140044.jpg
    20190527_140044.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
C_Man69EB

C_Man69EB

Never mind, I guess it's not a perfect fit. Amazingly though, it's very close. It's about 3 in too long. Has anybody ever cut and welded a 3-speed shift rod in order to adapt to an automatic? Obviously I could buy one, but they sure seem awful close.

OP
OP
C_Man69EB

C_Man69EB

Never mind, it's not a perfect fit. It's about 3 in too long, I had my gear selector in the transmission bottomed out in the wrong direction otherwise it's an amazingly clothes fit.

Has anyone ever cut and welded a manual shift lever in order to make an automatic shift actuator rod?

OP
OP
C_Man69EB

C_Man69EB

Sorry for the double post. Was posting from my cell phone and me and the phone got confused.

Wanted to follow up on this. Even though nobody responded, and I answered my own question, I did wind up cutting down the long lever from the factory 3-speed standard and changing it to the automatic shifter rod. I cut 3-inch out exactly. Amazingly, it works perfect!

What started out as a question has turned into a friendly technical post with some closure..

Attachments

• 20190527_151737.jpg
    20190527_151737.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20190527_155829.jpg
    20190527_155829.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 36

Action

good job.....I would sleeve or gusset that weld if it was me......
Jack

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Those all look like auto shift rods. Never seen a manual shifter with slotted adjusters.
The standard is two rods of slightly different shapes and lengths, with threaded ends at the transmission shift arms.
The threaded ends have those adjustable "pins" (I forget what that type of adjuster is called) that you turn until the pin lines up with the hole in the arm.

Never seen one that looked like an auto rod before.

Paul

OP
OP
C_Man69EB

C_Man69EB

Those all look like auto shift rods. Never seen a manual shifter with slotted adjusters.
Paul

Hey Paul, I actually took the 3 on the tree apart myself, it was running and driving when we pulled it into the shop. One long rod and the short rod with the slotted ends is what was on there and fully functional.

My old 69 was an NP435 ... it's been so long since I had a 3 on the tree in the shop... didnt know any different. I do t know if someone changed the rods. But why would there be a long and short auto rod?

Here is the presumed factory 3 speed setup. I guess it has no value?

Attachments

• Attach28678_20190527_160756.jpg
    Attach28678_20190527_160756.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 31

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
When I took my 3 speed out to change to a C4 I posted all the parts on our local EB club site free to a good home. One of the members was doing a C4 to 435 swap for a friend, and was able to use most of the parts. Post them up on the parts for sale or the free stuff forums here. Someone may be glad to get them.
Mark.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Paul, I actually took the 3 on the tree apart myself, it was running and driving when we pulled it into the shop.

Sure, was not doubting at all they'd come off of your running rig. Just that they didn't look normal to me.

One long rod and the short rod with the slotted ends is what was on there and fully functional.
...didnt know any different. I do t know if someone changed the rods. But why would there be a long and short auto rod?

Two possible scenarios I can think of.
First is that Ford changed to that style to save costs after '73 when autos came from the factory in EB's. The next would be that someone changed them out because they could, or preferred that style, and simply used rods from two different vehicles.

Since they fit and worked, it's very possible Ford made the change and I missed it. Most of the '73 and later models I've worked on had already had trans swaps, or were autos from the factory so would not have had that linkage at all.
But if the customer's truck was a '72 or older, then it's all swapped-in by a PO anyway, and could be anything.

I'm curious now. Going to have to dig into some later 3-speeds to see what they look like.
Or does can anyone else with a manual 3-speed in their Broncos say that it's got this same type of rod?

Thanks

Here is the presumed factory 3 speed setup. I guess it has no value?

Definitely give it a shot. Lots of people are now trying to restore, rather than modify their Broncos.

Paul