• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 to AOD 4R70W Shifter Questions.

freemanrebel

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PTsqSjX1CZtdjCAS8

So I installed a 69-70 Mustang floor shifter for my C4 transmission a while back in my 68. It looks slick and works like a charm. I love it. But now I think I want overdrive; so my question is; will this shifter still work with an overdrive transmission like an AOD or 4r70w? Don't I need a shifter with PRD321 for an AOD? This mustang shifter only has PRND21. I assume with a 4R70w it would be electronically controlled so the overdrive could be toggled on or off via a button right? I am just trying to understand how it would work. Thanks

John

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Correct. The 4R70W is still a 6 detent shifter. The OD cancel is a button (or switch).
The throws are a little different. expect to have to play with the angle of the dangle and do some high school math to get the stroke all lined up. Might even need to do a little filing of the shifter gate. But it can be made to work.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
hey freemanrebel
I like what you did there with the shifters.......did you shorten the transfer case shifter? cant really tell from the pic. nice!

OP
OP
F

freemanrebel

hey freemanrebel
I like what you did there with the shifters.......did you shorten the transfer case shifter? cant really tell from the pic. nice!

No I left the transfer case shifter alone. I fabricated a sheet metal box for the 69/70 mustang shifter. It pretty much just extends the hump a little bit to allow for the shifter to be the same height. You will have to figure out the angle of the dangle for the shift linkage by trial and error.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15XpG4OvNMhyFtc_wgBz0lANnG_Yifnyz/view?usp=sharing

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sM4SJjB5xravHhV3A

Mock it up out of card stock first before you cut the metal. I beat the folds in the sheet metal by clamping it in a vice. If did it again I would scour the back side of the joints for a crisper bend without denting the box. But It is getting Rhino later on anyway so it won't matter.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Best I can tell all you get from the stage 1 is a generic shift kit. I would go stock. They are known for taking serious power in stock form. I think there are better shift kits. Installed a few and generally they are very hidden in the details. I got one from Baumann years ago (now US Shift, also do the controllers) and the details in the manual were excellent. Each step it said what it did and gave you options. You could tune each shift to your desired level, not a blanket tune. And if there was a part of the shift kit you didn't like, you knew how to fix it.