• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 Vacuum Modulator Hose

Tcb3078

Loc.
Charlotte
Just wrapping up my build. I did rubber hose the entire length of the vacuum modulator vs installing the metal piece. Any concerns with this?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
No problem as long as you keep it away from heat.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
That length of vacuum hose may have durability issues over time. They are not made like they used to be and you are going to need to secure it along the way several times to keep it from coming off or being burnt. You can just get a length of brake line at the auto parts store and cut the ends off. Then you can bend a nice line that is not impacted by heat, oil, gas etc and you can secure it one place and it wlll stay there. A short length on each end to the source and modulator.

If you go to a pick-n-pull you may find a 70's Ford pickup or van and you can grab it from that. It will bolt right up.

OP
OP
Tcb3078

Tcb3078

Loc.
Charlotte
Thanks. I have it secure, just having D issues and it not shifting. Trying to eliminate the issues

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Double check to make sure the hose you're using has sufficient wall thickness. If you use to thin of a wall hose, it could suck closed under vacuum... basically collapse on its ID and then you get min to zero vacuum pull on the modulator.

On another note, if you used an adjustable modulator valve, you can adjust it's performance at the small set screw located in the vacuum port. A very short, thin blade, straight screwdriver is needed - little bit tight in that area sometimes.

Last, double check to make sure the pin was installed first into the port where you placed the modulator.

DJs74

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
If you can describe it in detail ViperWolf can diagnosis it!

OP
OP
Tcb3078

Tcb3078

Loc.
Charlotte
No problem as long as you keep it away from heat.

Since they recommended it....

Haha. Ok, he is my trans issue.

Reverse works fine.
Drive starts, stays in first unless I manually shift to second and the back into D.
1st works fine
2nd works fine
D has no upshift and have yet to get into 3rd.

Vacuum checks out at 15.5 on manifold and same at the end of the hose.

As mentioned, I used fuel line from manifold all the way to the trans.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Since they recommended it....

Haha. Ok, he is my trans issue.

Reverse works fine.

Drive starts, stays in first unless I manually shift to second and the back into D.

1st works fine

2nd works fine

D has no upshift and have yet to get into 3rd.

Vacuum checks out at 15.5 on manifold and same at the end of the hose.

As mentioned, I used fuel line from manifold all the way to the trans.
What's the history on the C4? Was it working previously, just rebuilt, or new to you?

It might be missing the modulator pin or the valve behind it could be installed backwards.

OP
OP
Tcb3078

Tcb3078

Loc.
Charlotte
What's the history on the C4? Was it working previously, just rebuilt, or new to you?

It might be missing the modulator pin or the valve behind it could be installed backwards.

Rebuilt c4 5 years ago. Sat until I could start. Has a mild shift kit.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Rebuilt c4 5 years ago. Sat until I could start. Has a mild shift kit.

Check the modulator pin and valve. This is the correct orientation of the valve. Mod pushes against pin.

Attachments

• IMGP0196.jpg
    IMGP0196.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
Tcb3078

Tcb3078

Loc.
Charlotte
Thanks Viper. Sounds like I was headed in the right direction. This was my next investigation point.

Just an update. Didnt do anything but drive it yesterday. D worked great, all three gears. Drove that way for about 10 miles. Stopped, the I couldn't fin 3 again and d wouldnt shift. I'm thinking more of a stuck governor? Still have fluid com ok ng out vent. Could overfilled be the problem?

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, check the kick down lever is not sticking down.
You should have a spring up at the top to pull the lever up. The kick down should move down and return by itself when you check it from under the hood.
Good luck

OP
OP
Tcb3078

Tcb3078

Loc.
Charlotte

Figured I'd give an update. Ended up pulling the trans. Builder said governor was very stuck and the valve bodies as well. Saw some wear on itches, so he replaced as well. Ended up throwing in a Hughes 2500 stall converter too. Thanks viper for your guidance.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
This would be a good time to reinstall the steel vacuum tube. The original design was there for a reason. Why do something different unless there is good reason? Ford never saw any reason to change the design over many years of C4-C6 production and millions of units.