• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carb strong smell of gas fumes

popsbronco

Loc.
Edmonton Canada
Adjusted my stock 2150 2v carb got it working perfect.
Know every time i drive the bronco all i can smell is fuel on acceleration whats causing this strong gas smell??

302fix

Sounds like it's flooding.
What did you do to adjust it? Are you talking about the fuel mix screws or did you rebuild the carb?
If it's a rebuild you may need to adjust the float. Do you see any fuel splashing out of the carb? The needle may not be seating correctly. If you can hear fuel running into the carb after you shut the engine off then it's flooding and you need to check out the float.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Your Timing could be off and causing your gas smell or weather strip is leaking so now its noticeable.

OP
OP
P

popsbronco

Loc.
Edmonton Canada
302fix said:
Sounds like it's flooding.
What did you do to adjust it? Are you talking about the fuel mix screws or did you rebuild the carb?
If it's a rebuild you may need to adjust the float. Do you see any fuel splashing out of the carb? The needle may not be seating correctly. If you can hear fuel running into the carb after you shut the engine off then it's flooding and you need to check out the float.

The carb was rebuilt meaning a carb kit,all i did was adjust the fuel mix screws.
The card ran fine for a year before i noticed any fuel smell

asabadin

Loc.
L.A.CALI NO THIEVES
belive it or not it might also be running too lean. If there is not enought fuel and more air you get a real bad eye burning smell. been there done that. just my $.02

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Also upon acceleration the accelerator pump pumps extra gas into the engine which may not be buring all of it. Which could be due to timing or just plain to much fuel being dumped in. How's your exhaust pipe look is it sooty black? or more greyish colored? You might want to pull the plugs and check them what color are they? that will tell you how the jetting is.

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
I'm thinking the fresh accelerator pump is performing better now and you may want to lower the float height a bit.

OP
OP
P

popsbronco

Loc.
Edmonton Canada
broncnaz said:
Also upon acceleration the accelerator pump pumps extra gas into the engine which may not be buring all of it. Which could be due to timing or just plain to much fuel being dumped in. How's your exhaust pipe look is it sooty black? or more greyish colored? You might want to pull the plugs and check them what color are they? that will tell you how the jetting is.

Iam still getting a sooty black tail pipe.
Thats telling me still to rich or not--umh iam not sure

What do you think???

I havent taken the plugs out yet!

OP
OP
P

popsbronco

Loc.
Edmonton Canada
raleigh_bronco said:
I'm thinking the fresh accelerator pump is performing better now and you may want to lower the float height a bit.

Raleigh you maybe correct also.Good tip ill keep that in mind.
Hopefully i can fix the problem
ty ;D