• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Champion Radiator Cap

triracer67

Contributor
I installed a new 3-core Champion radiator last night with zero issues. The cap that came with the radiator doesn't look to be a pressure cap like the stop one, which do I use? Will cap from stock fit? (I'm at work, or I would check)

Next challenge is to see if Derale slimline fan will fit.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, post a picture of the new radiator cap.
A pressure release cap will have a flat rubber sealing gasket, on a stem, and the stem will have a spring to press the sealing gasket down into the radiator fill opening.
You can compress the spring down with your fingers.
That is why you have to push down when turning the radiator cap on and off.
Good luck

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A traditional twist-on radiator cap is always a "pressure" cap. Some of the modern screw-on types are not, but anything on an older radiator will be.
If by pressure, you meant a Lev-r-Vent type with the little red handle, that wasn't stock original either, but has been used by many people (including me) because they're so handy for releasing pressure.

Your new one that came with the radiator likely has a higher pressure rating though. Stock was what, maybe 13lbs? ? And the new one is maybe 16lbs? That would be the most obvious difference, including the looks/colors/shapes between that and another manufacturer's product.

Do you run a recovery tank? Or is the radiator vented to ground?
Likely your old one will still fit (not guaranteed, but very likely) and you can probably use either one. Higher pressure raises the temperature before it spits out or boils over, but does not offer any improvement in actual cooling from that aspect.
However, more pressure inside the system can help with hot spots and improve efficiency if there is already an issue revolving around that kind of problem.
Not as effective perhaps as higher water pressure from a high-flow pump, but still an improvement. Just have to hope that all of your other stuff is up to that increase in pressure.

Paul

OP
OP
triracer67

triracer67

Contributor
Thanks for the great info, cap that came with is pressure cap. I got the electric fan installed, hoping for super hot and humid day tomorrow to test new set up. For those not living in Illinois, it gets stupid hot and humid here.