• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clutch Size For A 71 170 6cyl

rae61

Quick question what is the clutch disc dia for a 71 with a 170 6cyl. If I remember it's 9.25". I just pick up a clutch set from my local Napa and I got
a 11" clutch and I'm sure that is for a V8. The guy assured me that it was for
a 6cyl Bronco. I don't want to start pulling it apart until I know I have the right parts.

Thanks Rick.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I beleive you are correct about the 9 3/8" I think there were some other sizes that also came on the earlier 170's yeah I doubt that the 11in will fit. might want to take it back now see if they have the right size they may have to order one.

mccdan4

I'm having this same problem, everything for these EB's are for V-8. I checked with a parts store and they had a 9" and a 9 3/8" clutch for the 170

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I'm an OLD PARTSMAN for 30 years and your Napa kid is wrong...I don't know for sure but it ain't 11 inches ....Seems like when me and Running Buddy did his it's takes 8 and 7/8 or 9 and 1/8 something really crazy ...I remember it from my old parts days being an odd size ..I believe I sent his to have it rebuilt ...Or I think you can grind on the bellhousing too make it fit...the 9 plus plate not an 11 ....the 11 will never fit unless you have something add in the V8 set up...

OP
OP
rae61

rae61

PAPITT, you are right it's a 9" clutch not a 11". I could not find one local so I ordered a reman one from Fort Wayne Clutch and Driveline, good product and they shipped fast. Thanks for your help.;D

Rick.

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
PAPITT, you are right it's a 9" clutch not a 11". I could not find one local so I ordered a reman one from Fort Wayne Clutch and Driveline, good product and they shipped fast. Thanks for your help.;D

Rick.
When I replied I didn't even notice this was an old thread.

I have the Fort Wayne Clutch also. So far so good. Its been in for a year. maybe 250 street miles and OCBR last year.