• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

d20 low to high range shifting on the fly

bluesbish

Loc.
Upstate New York
just curious if anyone else shifts their D20 from 2 low to 2 high while moving. My bronco has been in pieces for 4 years now, but I used to do this all the time. I used to run through 4 gears and then to high range and then back to 3rd and then 4th. no real purpose, just sounded cool with lots of quick shifts like a big rig. surprisingly the D20 would shift quite nicely like that with just a soft grind. not sure if and how much damage this causes. curious to see what others think.

travis77

Loc.
Pasadena MD
I'm no expert, but this sounds like a bad idea to me. X2 on popping the inspection cover for a look.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Some of the books I've read do say the Dana 20 can be shifted from 2hi to 4hi while rolling. Recommended speed is below 40 mph though, if I remember.
Although I always liked to be sitting still or only going a couple of mph, if you say you didn't have any real grinding of note, I doubt you did any real harm. Might have slightly rounded off some gear corners, but mot much else. And if anything, that might make it even easier to shift at speed.
From what I'm gathering too, if you're going from 4lo, you're really only going a few miles per hour anyway. Right? Maybe less than 20 or so?

As always, but maybe more in your case, just make sure you keep good clean fluid in there and don't figure it's "lubed-for-life" or anything like that.
What fluid did you run before, and what are you planning to run in the future?

Paul

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I shift mine on the fly. I'm not saying you should but I have done it for the 20+ years I have had my bronco and never had a problem. I only do it going slow.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I've done it too. Just like shifting a non-sync transmission. I only do it when moving slowly (10 mph or less) and use as little pressure on the lever as it takes to feel the gears line up. You can go from high to low too but then you need to add in just the right amount of throttle to get the gears in sync. It takes some practice.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I've done it too. Just like shifting a non-sync transmission. I only do it when moving slowly (10 mph or less) and use as little pressure on the lever as it takes to feel the gears line up. You can go from high to low too but then you need to add in just the right amount of throttle to get the gears in sync. It takes some practice.

what he said. just like when shifting a manual trans without using the clutch. bring the RPMs to where they should be with the gear you wanna go in to

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
just sounded cool with lots of quick shifts like a big rig
Ya must be fun to shift 6 times before you get through the light!%) The folks behind you must have thought it was your first time behind the stick!%) My 3 speed i cant even start in 1'st gear in high because its too low. I start in 2'nd and go to 3'rd, thats it.

OP
OP
bluesbish

bluesbish

Loc.
Upstate New York
Now a bunch of you are going to try it! I just tried it one day and it worked. you can tell the difference between a violent driveline noise and a mild/ mostly non damaging one. I have since switched to a diffent t-case for no other reason than it just had all new seals installed and was painted up nice. we'll see if this one shifts as well. by the way, i am talking about a t-sift D20. Never tried it with my original j-shift. that thing was hard enough getting in and out of 4 hi. and anyone that thinks I am a jerk for "abusing" my t-case like this, I will also inform you that I rarely use the clutch upshifting or downshifting my NP435!

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
Perhaps this is why your bronco has been in pieces for four years.....the D20 is not a shift on the fly box. The D20 is best shifted still or rolled slightly to get it to go into gear.;)