• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D20 shift rails interchange?

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
Are the tshift and jshift shift rails interchangeable? Meaning can i swap jshift rails into a tshift case and end up with the lower gears and the jshift pattern?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Desert Thrasher

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
Yes they do. The only difference I found was the T-shift used 2 detent rods and the J-shift only used 1.

Tell_Sackett

Loc.
Santa Cruz Mountains
The shift rails may interchange however that has NOTHING to do with the lower gear ratio. That is entirely determined by the ratio between the gears, (number of teeth on driven gear divided by number of teeth on drive gear.) The larger the difference, the slower it goes. All the shift rails do is move the shift collar and select what gear you are in i.e, high range, low range, 2wd, 4wd.

I have not compared the two rails, but the interlocks prevent you from ending up in hi range in the front and low in the back, (potentially destroying your t-case). So you may want to be VERY careful swapping those parts around without really understanding how they work.

OP
OP
Desert Thrasher

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
I think you misunderstood my post. I know and very much understand why the t shift has lower gearing. All i did was take the shift rails out of a j shift case and put them in a t shift case. Thus giving me the lower gears of the T shift and the j shift pattern to work with my twin sticks which were already setup for the j shifter.
As far as the detents go, the j shift requires only 1 detent rod and the T shift used 2. The actual shift rails are ground different. One for J shift and the other for the T shift. Very simple actually.

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The J rails are definitely better designed. You can even use a T shifter if you cut/drill them the same length as the T rails.