• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D30 Chevy Disk -Parts List help

boxerharley

Loc.
Centralia WA
Ive read many threads with many different combos for the Chevy front disk conversion....can anyone PLEASE PLEASE help me put together a complete parts list that I can just go down to NAPA and buy everything I need, walk outta there and go install it.

PLEEEEASSE

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I used the exact same parts from the D30 when I moved them over to the D44. Nothing different.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Only one item is really needed:

76 or 77 EB disc 44;D

Sorry, could not resist. I can not see spending any money on a 30 unless it is for a stock resto.

To clarify, I meant stock resto as in very original, authentic restoration which would be detracted by a non-original item. If it is not stock enough to intentionally maintain the drums, then a disc D44 is in order IMO

Last edited:

orangebronco68

Loc.
Mesa, AZ
look for the brackets at the junk yard. you can also get the spindles off the same truck. Mid 70's with a D44 front end. 73-79 ?

orangebronco68

Loc.
Mesa, AZ
You can also get the Calipers off the same truck or Blazer or Suburban for cores. Get your Hub and rotors at Napa and braided brake lines from you Bronco Parts supplyer. You shouldn't have to spend more than 250 dollars for the parts total. Also you CAN put this on your D30 and it will also fit a D44 when you swich out your D30.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes. orangebronco68 listed year model chevy trucks to get them from.

Eugene

Broncobowsher

Total hack
is the caliper bracket the same as the backing plate? Im sorry, but im learning as I go

Full size Jeeps (Wagoneers, J-series pickups, NOT CJs) That have GM style brakes will also have usable backing plates.

Since you are learning, there is a thing you should know about the GM disk brake spindles. Small bearing and big bearing. You will need small, but big is what you will find a lot of. The only way a big will work is if you find a machinist who will turn it down to the small specs. Depending on how easy you can find an afordable machinist will decide if that is an acceptable route. If the machinist wants $100 to do the job, better keep looking for the small bearing spindles. If he will do it for a 6-pack, a cheap set of big bearing spindles is a good find.

I think the big bearing spindles came out in '77?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I heard the full size jeeps had a 5 bolt spindle. Is this wrong?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Jeep used a lot of stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some that were 5-bolt.
I know I used a set off a full size Jeep of unknown year. The spindles were wrong and I found another set. What I used was the normal Dana 6-bolt.

You would need to find a Jeep expert to find out anything about a 5-bolt disk brake setup. I don't know of it. But I generally only work on Jeeps when they bolck my path and I need them moved. Then I only work on them as little as possible to get them to move again.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
ok you pushed on me until I Have to add my 2 bits. The older backing plate may be better .. 72.5 to 74 are a cast steel .. later will work but have a tin shield on them .. For your calipers just go get new rebuilt one from a parts house ... Most will let you put anything in the box for a core .. the caliper is cheaper than the core price.. D52 brake pads ..cheap ones will get you going .. I like the pads that only cost about $7.50 ..If you don't like them you can move up after it's going..
... AND HERE IS Where I disagree .. I say you have to have 72.5 too 74 spindles.. A bunch of folks here have said they used later ones .. But I've turned down a set of large bearings to the small bearing .. I say their wrong..
... The darn spindles you need cost about 75.00 each ..unless you find a set cheap or you turn down a set for free.. I had access to a smitty built.