• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 - Thanks JON

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Does a T case rebuild necessarily require a new cluster shaft with thrust washers & shims?

Trying to determine which rebuild kit I want.

Thanks!!

Note: I have not tested out the 4wd much, when I put in the rebuilt C4, I thought to go ahead & give the T case a once over, while it's out.

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Every one I've rebuilt has had noticeable wear on one end of the shaft. I'd replace it.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd get the one with the shaft. May as well have the part and replace it as if you dont get the part you'll probably find that you need it.

OP
OP
sprdv1

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I'd get the one with the shaft. May as well have the part and replace it as if you dont get the part you'll probably find that you need it.

Yeah, that's normally how I think too, Appreciate your input.

Y'all have a great weekend.

OP
OP
sprdv1

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
What about the adapter housing bearing...? Required..?

Can I get that separately if needed?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd get one of those as well as you will have it apart. That bearing see's use all the time.

4G5

Loc.
Newport News,VA

I'm also a big fan of going ahead and doing something even if I don't think it needs being done right then. I hate having to take something back off again a couple of months later.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Absolutely to that last bit! Of all the bearings in mine, that was in the worst shape and definitely needed to be replaced.
Don't know how much they cost these days (probably not cheap) but how much is not doing the work twice worth to you? I know I wouldn't want to have to pull the thing apart again in a year ot two if I could avoid it.
Btw, how much are those bearings now? I think I paid like 20 bucks when I did mine almost 30 years ago.

Paul

OP
OP
sprdv1

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
$160 for the kit w/everything... At least on the WH site, BUT I did have a GC from last xmas.. ;)