• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 30 spline carrier-Is Ford and Dodge the same?

emtfirerescue

Loc.
Durand, IL
Someone is selling a posi carrier from a dodge dana 44. My Bronco has a Ford (obviously);D Dana 44. Are the carriers interchangeable? Mine currently is an open carrier. Thanks, Kurt

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Yes, provided it's part of the same carrier split group. 3.92+ (numerically higher) are one group, and 3.73- (numerically lower) are the other.

You can also get a thick gearset and use a 3.73 and below carrier with 3.92+ ratio, but that's getting ahead of ourselves.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yes, provided it's part of the same carrier split group. 3.92+ (numerically higher) are one group, and 3.73- (numerically lower) are the other.

You can also get a thick gearset and use a 3.73 and below carrier with 3.92+ ratio, but that's getting ahead of ourselves.

What he said.

I'll also throw out that some hewer stuff (about 2004 and up) starts playing with stuff making them a hybrid axle based of a D44. And if you are looking as some real old stuff 50's to mid 60's? then it could be an odd 19 coarse spline axle.

But most any D44 from the later 60's to early 2000 comes down to 2 choices based on gear ratio.

Another oddity I have come across is the D44 in the Honda Passport/Isuzu thingy. It is a 4.33 gear but it is a thick gear from the factory to fit on the high gear carrier. So you need a 3.50 style carrier to fit that particluer 4.33 gear.

The latest I have found? Late model hybrid D44 are also changing the spline count on the pinion gear. We are losing the days when a D44 was a D44.