• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dash Pad Cover Installation

syndicate1

Contributor
I’m looking to pull the trigger on a dash pad cover from one of our vendors. My rig had the original dash and the dash cover installation requires the use of adhesive for securing the cover in place. I prefer not using adhesive because I’m concerned that the dash pad can’t be removed later when I have the dash restored.

Has anyone installed the dash pad using the dash screws?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skinnyr1

I just recovered mine last week with one from bronco's graveyard.

Before it arrived, I thought it was going to be a soft vinyl cover or something of the sort. It is actually a harder plastic, preformed molded type cover. I used the supplied silicone run around only the outside edge to put it on. This is what the directions say to do.

If I had to get it off later, I'm sure it would come off since only the edge is glued. If you only used the screws, it would probably look quite poor. I used a couple dozen clamps on it to get it to be flat all around the edges. Only the bottom overlaps the screws. The top would be hanging in space without glue being used.

The end product is nice, overall I am happy with it for $100.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I would first see if it "snaps" on into place with no adhesive. I did this on my 84 Bronco and it worked very well. No issues with it coming off or moving around. I glued one onto my 78 Bronco's dash per the instructions and it ended up buckling and cracking because it was not free to expand and contract.

I have installed a cover on an early Bronco years ago. But as I recall the cover does not extend to where the original dash pad screws to the dash so I don't see how you would install it with screws. Maybe newer covers do, not sure.

tody

the screws at the windshield will still be accessible as they are not covered. i aligned the bottom as close as possible to the original pad, and drilled the holes through from behind. used new fasteners, it looks really good. be prepared to trim the plastic of the cover at the two openings left and right, as well as at the holes for the windshield knobs.

andyp

Contributor
I installed one on a 73. I just put it into place and it kind of snapped in and looked fine. I would go that route for now. No reason to glue it in place.
Just Dashes restored my dash pad on my 71 Baja. It looks great

bosshoff

Contributor
I installed one on a 73. I just put it into place and it kind of snapped in and looked fine. I would go that route for now. No reason to glue it in place.

I remember seeing something on just dashes and then falling off my seat when I saw it was $300 plus to have an old dash reconditioned. Clearly, their business is rare Mustangs, and the like. Maybe now old Broncos are in play, but I am too poor for that.

BCH BRCO

Not to hi-Jack this thread, but if I want to remove my original crash pad do I need to fold down the windshield to access the screws that hold the crash pad in place?

OP
OP
S

syndicate1

Contributor
Not to hi-Jack this thread, but if I want to remove my original crash pad do I need to fold down the windshield to access the screws that hold the crash pad in place?

Does a snake drag its balls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdullery76

"Not to hi-Jack this thread, but if I want to remove my original crash pad do I need to fold down the windshield to access the screws that hold the crash pad in place?"

Yes

bronconut73

Bronco Guru

Also just popped it on my '73 like 20 years ago.
No silicone, No glue.
Many thousands of miles no problem at all.
Mine came from Duff I think.

andyp

Contributor
I remember seeing something on just dashes and then falling off my seat when I saw it was $300 plus to have an old dash reconditioned. Clearly, their business is rare Mustangs, and the like. Maybe now old Broncos are in play, but I am too poor for that.

I paid $550. seven years ago but it was going on a Baja, the re-pop dash pads are $300 now.

crab

Bronco Guru
So I should pull my old pad out of the garbage? Are they worth restoring?
As far as the cover goes.... I’d just remove the pad until you can afford to buy a new one. Waste of time and money in my opinion after installing one.