• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Disc brake conversion question

Beau Nugget

Contributor
Loc.
NE Kansas
I’m putting on a Duffs front disc brake conversion kit. My question is about the washer that goes on the stub axle shaft behind the spindle. I noticed that one side of the inside diameter of the washer is beveled. I failed to notice when removing it whether or not the bevel is installed facing out or facing in. When reassembling, I assumed that the bevel faced out and so that’s how installed it, but after getting things back together, I am questioning whether or not that is the case. Maybe the bevel should be installed, facing inward? I was just wondering which way it goes and if it’s worth tearing things back apart to flip it around if it’s installed incorrectly.

Also, the washers that came with the kit were made of a hard plastic. Whereas the original ones are made of brass. I chose to reuse the original brass washers since they were in good shape, because that seems like a better choice than plastic. Are there any thoughts on this.

thanks, Bruce

OP
OP
Beau Nugget

Beau Nugget

Contributor
Loc.
NE Kansas
Bevel faces inward towards the axle u joint.
Thanks. That’s what I was wondering. Is it worth disassembling the hub, spindle, etc to flip it around since I installed it backwards? I really don’t want to do that, but if it’s going to cause a proble, it will need to be done

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don’t think we know what the problems might be, because I don’t think we’ve ever talked about anyone installing them backwards and running them that way.
They only actually fit the one way, with the bevel facing the axle radius. Normally when you put it on backwards, it does not sit flush. Just doesn’t look right, so it gets flipped around to try both ways.
When reversed, that extra space that it’s pushed out will reduce the axles ability to move in and out, at least for a moment. Because it’s plastic, the thrust washer will probably end up breaking.
I’m not sure though, because I don’t think I’ve ever heard of these circumstances.
Are you sure you put it on backwards?
Not sure you can actually see it by eye, but if you can get a phone or something back in there far enough to take a picture, maybe you can verify without having to pull it apart again.

I was wondering when you were referring to “inward“ and “outward“ whether you were talking about inward towards the differential or inward towards the spindle.

OP
OP
Beau Nugget

Beau Nugget

Contributor
Loc.
NE Kansas
I don’t think we know what the problems might be, because I don’t think we’ve ever talked about anyone installing them backwards and running them that way.
They only actually fit the one way, with the bevel facing the axle radius. Normally when you put it on backwards, it does not sit flush. Just doesn’t look right, so it gets flipped around to try both ways.
When reversed, that extra space that it’s pushed out will reduce the axles ability to move in and out, at least for a moment. Because it’s plastic, the thrust washer will probably end up breaking.
I’m not sure though, because I don’t think I’ve ever heard of these circumstances.
Are you sure you put it on backwards?
Not sure you can actually see it by eye, but if you can get a phone or something back in there far enough to take a picture, maybe you can verify without having to pull it apart again.

I was wondering when you were referring to “inward“ and “outward“ whether you were talking about inward towards the differential or inward towards the spindle.
Yeah, By inward I meant Facing the differential. And outward I meant faces the tire. I am virtually certain that I put the bevel facing the differential.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Then you did it correctly.
Which is much better than having to remove the spindle again!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The idea is to make a sharp square edge for the seal
Without making a sharp square edge called a stress riser that is the starting point for the axle to break