• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

DIY 4r70w Rebuild Help - Solved

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey all, Im using the Transmission Bench rebuild kit and video series. Its gone very well and the videos have help identify bad parts that Ive replaced. I have the drive system installed and its when I get to the pump is where I may have an issue. Once I install the pump and torque the bolts the input shaft becomes very hard to turn. Up until the pump goes in, it turns pretty much freely.

The videos say that if the input shaft is hard to turn and has no endplay, its likely an issue with the forward friction plates or a thrust bearing could be upside down. I pulled everything apart and followed the videos step by step and yet again the input shaft is very hard to turn. I'm able to turn it with my hands but it takes a lot to get movement.

Maybe my definition of "freely" is different? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A transmission rebuild is the last part of a car I am scared of and have never tried.

72ford

I have the same issue, after some research. Found if you change any hard parts it can affect the clearance. You can buy different thickness shims for the pump. Which is what I’m doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
I just finished rebuilding my 4R70W about a month ago. Once the pump is in, the input shaft won’t be super easy to turn. Make sure you set your end play correctly with the color coded plastic selective washer behind the pump.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Gents, thanks so much! The makes perfect sense. The video didnt mention having to possibly change them or how to measure for the correct size. I hope its this simple.

Good luck with the rest of your rebuilds/installs.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I tore it down again and found that the lip on the thrust bearing between the planetary carrier and the direct clutch was hitting the bushing in the planetary carrier.

I used the old bushing to recess the new bushing in the carrier and that did the trick.

Assembled it again and nice smooth rotation. On to the next step!

Attachments

• Bearing Lip.jpg
    Bearing Lip.jpg
    937.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Bearing Sleeve.jpg
    Bearing Sleeve.jpg
    957.6 KB · Views: 9