• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Does anyone make repair parts/kits for the original Dana Spicer Locking Hubs (D44)?

IYAS9YAS

Loc.
Rio Rancho, NM
I just bought a '75 with the D44 up front with OEM locking hubs. A PO has apparently reversed the driver's side dial indicator (arrow points 180 degress off from lock/free marks) and I noticed a couple of the OEM bolts are missing. I'd really like to pull the hub apart to correct the dial, or get the new plastic dials (I think JBG has them), and simply replace the gaskets/o-rings and bolts/washers that are missing on the cap. I really don't want to have to spend the money on the Warn or MM replacements.

Does anyone have these parts? I've searched, and found a guy on e-bay showing the bolts/washers and two o-rings, but no gaskets. All the parts stores want to sell is the aftermarket hubs and kits for those.

turbotim2

What kind of gasket are you looking for? Mine only have o-rings, one on the knob and one under the cap. If you wouldn't mind, could you post the ebay ad?

bludorbronc

there are brass washers under the allen bolts and an o ring around the center dial and one where the lockout meets the hub but i cant think where a gasket is. for the lockout meets the hub o ring i always used one that was thicker than stock and siliconed the allens to help keep water out. as far as being a great lockout i was always breaking off the square inter locking teeth.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I'd really like to pull the hub apart to correct the dial, or get the new plastic dials (I think JBG has them), and simply replace the gaskets/o-rings and bolts/washers that are missing on the cap. I really don't want to have to spend the money on the Warn or MM replacements.

Does anyone have these parts? I've searched, and found a guy on e-bay showing the bolts/washers and two o-rings, but no gaskets. All the parts stores want to sell is the aftermarket hubs and kits for those.
I don't remember any gaskets in the locking hub assy., just an o-ring or two. Although I never looked to be sure, I don't think there's anything special about those bolts. Just plain allen head bolts.... but I've been wrong before. I believe BC Broncos has the center hubs, machined out of aluminum.
http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=24_61&products_id=1302

I bought a complete hub off of ebay, complete with center dial and screws, to use as a trail spare.

OP
OP
IYAS9YAS

IYAS9YAS

Loc.
Rio Rancho, NM
What kind of gasket are you looking for? Mine only have o-rings, one on the knob and one under the cap. If you wouldn't mind, could you post the ebay ad?

I think I may have been looking at the wrong picture. A poster on another thread had this link - http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/270058_1

I'm new to the Bronco, and thought the top exploded diagram (external type) was what the EBs had, but now it appears the second exploded diagram (internal type) is is correct, and there are no gaskets, just o-rings.

OP
OP
IYAS9YAS

IYAS9YAS

Loc.
Rio Rancho, NM
there are brass washers under the allen bolts and an o ring around the center dial and one where the lockout meets the hub but i cant think where a gasket is. for the lockout meets the hub o ring i always used one that was thicker than stock and siliconed the allens to help keep water out. as far as being a great lockout i was always breaking off the square inter locking teeth.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I really don't want to have to spend the money on the Warn or MM replacements.

Good call. I'm still convinced that the early stock hubs are better in most respects than the aftermarket. In later years (about '80 or so) Warn actually became the OE supplier for Ford, so that's about my limit for "early" hub.

Never broken or damaged a stock lockout knob myself, but I tend to "tinker" with things anyway, so the wheel bearings, and therefore the hubs, don't get any time to get gummed up and hard to use.

Good luck. Should be able to re-use all your parts if they're in even reasonably good shape still.
I would just pull them apart before you go buying new parts anyway. The o-rings are totally re-usable as long as they're still in semi-good shape too. Clean 'em, lube 'em lightly, and you're good to go. Sounds like you mainly need just the new screws.
As was mentioned though, sometimes the stock outer o-ring is too thin to keep things really sealed up. If yours is good and tight, great. If not though, you can fill the gap with sealant, if it's just a small gap.

Paul

turbotim2

I think I may have been looking at the wrong picture. A poster on another thread had this link - http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/270058_1

I'm new to the Bronco, and thought the top exploded diagram (external type) was what the EBs had, but now it appears the second exploded diagram (internal type) is is correct, and there are no gaskets, just o-rings.

You are correct, that diagram is not a stock early Bronco hub.

OP
OP
IYAS9YAS

IYAS9YAS

Loc.
Rio Rancho, NM
Dirt Donk, thanks for that. I did a cursory look at the hubs, and it appears the bolts that do remain on the driver's side are a mix of torx and allen. They also appear to be missing the washers for the bolts. I may buy a kit from the guy on e-bay, as it may take less time and money to get it, than it would for me to hunt down the miscellaneous missing pieces.

Ranchtruck

If you go to a junkyard the lockouts from an 80's to early 90's F150 will fit right in. They're the warn design but as long as you keep them very lightly greased (too thick will make them partially engage and strip) they work fine. Should be dirt cheap from a junkyard, more than $20 for the pair means you're getting robbed.

Go Devil

Has anyone found replacement O rings or parts for the OE dana hubs? I need to service mine as they heat up after a short drive when locked. Would like replacement parts if they are available.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They're probably still out there. I haven't seen any lately, but haven't been looking for them either.

I wouldn't put off the service for an O-ring though. It's literally the last thing to go on after servicing, and it's not the lockouts that are causing the heat, but the bearings and/or brakes.
So go in there and see what's up, re-pack and re-adjust the bearings and then put the lockouts back together.
If you find that your 2 o-rings are shot and don't want to put them back on that way before finding new ones, you can literally leave the cap/knob assembly off and cover the hub opening with duct tape or a plastic bag w/rubber band. Just need to keep the dirt out is all.

The only downside to this is your hubs are locked with the knob off. Good for turning the diff gears and getting everything lubed up and any moisture burned off. Bad if you have a frozen axle u-joint and it's hard to steer.

But it's all good. At least it lets you know when you need to change out the joints!

Good luck. When you find some replacement parts, post up your findings.

Paul