• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Does anyone reproduce the Ford Sport Steering Wheel?

BRONCOBERT

Does any company reproduce the Ford Sport Steering Wheel?
20140927_153434_fed26bc035f4322ac77e08763bc31fe9f533ff97.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BRONCOBERT

BRONCOBERT

I did see some that were somewhat similar but were 14 inch, is 14 inch too small?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'm going to say NO. I was looking very hard for a long time and could not find one. Forget a reproduction, just find a good one. NOS doesn't exist, good used doesn't either. For such a cool period correct steering wheel they are super rare and horded.

In the end I eventually had a custom made steering wheel made. Not cheap, but got what I wanted. They used a horn button emblem from the sport wheel to really finish it off. Con2r is the company that did it. Classic Ford 2-spoke boomerang style.

OX1

Bronco Guru
Funny. I have one on my 79 rock crawler. Someone painted the center cap black, and maybe even the spokes.
The imporant part, the leather is perfect, even though this thing has literally been completely underwater back in the day.
(someone gave me two 79's for $300 back then, always wanted to swamp a rig and see whats happens)

JIMswamp.jpg

Maybe I should swap it out, bet it could be cleaned up pretty well.
I beleive the centercap is avail new and the spokes I think where brushed alum,
so maybe not hard to clean up. I never saw one with black spokes like above pic,
was that factory?

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've had a couple of them over the years, bought them when they were pretty easy to find. I spoke to someone at Dennis Carpenter a couple of years ago and asked them if they had any plans to reproduce them, no luck. I too, sure wish someone would make a faithful repro. I think they could be found on Mustangs and a couple other Ford vehicles besides the F series and big Bronco. Some had black spokes but most I've seen had silver colored spokes. I think some were even offered with a real leather wrap on them and again most I've seen were rubber. You wouldn't believe how many crates of those I saw go into open rail cars to be scrapped when they were fazed out of production at the plant.

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like the Ford Sport steering wheel too for an option that's not a stock Bronco wheel. I machined parts to adapt an original horn button to install it on the sport wheel on my Rattler Bronco.

Attachments

• Rattler 013.JPG
    Rattler 013.JPG
    208.5 KB · Views: 36

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
I was lucky and found both of mine before the prices got stupid. Keep in mind there are different variations if you want to look for one. Most of the Mustang/Capri don't have horn provisions, as the horn was in the turn signal stalk. The truck version have a functioning horn button with correct center hub. I've seen both brushed and black spoke versions, but the black is not very common based on my searches over the years. I've never seen a reproduction but Dennis Carpenter or someone does reproduce the horn buttons.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Does the horn work as mounted?
As I recall some did and some did not. I had one from a mustang that had no horn provision.(I think the horn was on the turn signal stalk on some mid 70’s cars like the mustang 2 and Granada which had a version of the sport wheel)