• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

electric choke wiring?

dewshan

Loc.
Estes Park, Colorado
I am changing my stock thermal (from heater hose) choke to an electric one on a stock 2100 carb. I have easy access to a 12v switched aux fuse block. Is this all I need to do? wire it up to 12volt switched? Does anyone know what amp fuse I should use for it? thanks

BRONCO26

Loc.
SENOIA
you need a choke t-stat to bolt one the side of carb where the heater hose one bolts on. you can get them at napa or any good part store. i would say a 25 amp switched fuse should be enough to carry the load, just be sure it is switch when in the run position.also cap off the heat tube line at the carb.

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
Technically, you should actually run the choke wire to the "sta"(or is it "stat", don't remember) terminal on your altenator.

Do a search and you will find a recent thread about it.

OP
OP
D

dewshan

Loc.
Estes Park, Colorado
I searched the threads but I am a little confused about it. I am running a 3g alternator. The sta lead is the white and black wire that feeds back into the alternators internal regulator? I have A S and I leads. The I is switched with ignition and the A goes to a distribution block. The S lead feeds back into the alternator. Do you think I should tap into the S lead?

OP
OP
D

dewshan

Loc.
Estes Park, Colorado
Maybe when its wired to the sta lead on the alternator it supplies voltage only when the alternator is spinning and the motor is running? the only advantage of this I could think of would be if the stereo is wired to be switched and I am parked with the key in the accessory or run position it would keep the choke open when I doesn't need to be.