• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

experienced welder - charlotte NC? (roll bar)

cisco

hey guys-

my son went through a crazy growth spurt :) and i need to get him a new car seat.. one that requires a shoulder belt.

i have the basic smitty bar in the truck right now, but i need to add to the back end of it. dont think i need to add any bars to the front, as this is a stock bronco that wont be doing any major off roading- just in case i get broadsided and roll over. i'd like to add shoulder belts to the front also.

sp.pl

i borrowed that image from one of the members here- looks a lot like what id like to do, only i need to add holes (sleeved) for the shoulder belt bolts.

any alternatives you guys might have in mind- hope youll share them!

i cant afford to do this twice, and since my sons safety is a stake, i cant afford for it to be an experiment for someone- including myself! i know some about welding, but not enough to trust myself to go rent a machine and rig something up.

wondering if anyone knows someone who can do this. ive asked the two 4x4 shops in town, but they really didnt know.. (?)

also wondering about cost.. the crab cages look really nice- but i have to consider the $$'s!

thanks everybody.

NCBRONCOS

Loc.
Charlotte
I have a friend that is currently working on 2 eb's for me. He has 2 family cages(1 crab,1 complete off road) that he is putting in my 2 eb's. I am sure he would be willing to help you. He is at Accessory World on Albemarle Road,
704-537-4004.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I realize you are concerned about your son's safety in the back, but it wont be long before he will be up front with you. You should do the front as well as the back at the same time. There are a couple of shops on the other side of the Smokies from you in Maryville that have a good bit of bronco experience (Rob's offroad is one of them). You might contact them to get pricing. I know I have seen they have kits listed in their adds in BD. If nothing else, order a knocked-down Crab cage, any certified welder should be able to put it together for you within 3-4 hours shop-time...crab claims his guy can do it in 1.5-2 hrs, I believe--and thats TIG-ed (usually MIG is considered a bit quicker). Bending the tubing and notching is the tough part, really...and with one of Crab's kits, its all done. Having a quality pre-bent jig-assembled kit is worth its weight in gold for the DIY without all the specialized equipment. I went with a local fabricator and I am very pleased, but he spent alot of time and energy on it--in that sense I got a bargain on his quote compared to what his real time was...we both agreed if we had it to do over again, especially for the design I wanted (modified crab-style with spider bars)--a kit would be the way to go...shipping is MUCH cheaper and like I said 2-4 hours of shop time should only cost you a few hundred...cheaper then shipping a full assembled cage. There are alot of good kits out there... www.Broncobob.com , www.protofab.com , www.ebgear.com , www.completeoffroad.com . Hopefully, someone with a good 220V unit in your area will have some time to set you up on the cheap. Good luck with your choices.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cisco

thanks!

im pretty close to albemarle, dont know how ive missed seeing the shop there. will try to get by there today.

having a cage shipped unassembled is a great idea too- will check it out.

psycho- did you mean i should add a cage around the front? i figured the smitty would be enough to hold the weight and keep front passengers safe in a rollover..

havent read any posts here about rollovers happening in daily road traffic- my truck just doesnt feel like it'd roll too easily. but if i were t-boned or something- i dunno.

NC- ive seen about a half dozen EB's in town. a friend of mine has a baby blue uncut one just like mine. seen a faded red one, uncut and a couple of cut off roaders. havent seen the ones in your gallery though.. will keep an eye out :)

--or- we'll see you at "The Penguin" near central ave sometime.

thanks again guys.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I dont think ANYONE plans on rolling their truck. It happens. On road and off-road. Last year, one of the member here rolled his on the highway, thanks to the cage, he walked aways, the FD/Wreckers uprighted it and he drove it in to work. The guy who my buddy Chris, Bronco_46256 on here, jsut bought his Bronco from said he rolled that truck several years ago here in town. Someone/thing ran out in front of him, he had to go toward a ditch and it ended on its side.... My thing is, IF you think its important enough to build a cage to protect your son, shouldnt you make it to protect his father and mother who may be riding up front. A hard top is not structurally sound in any event. A Smitty built bar is better than nothing, but IF your going to do something more, do it right and protect everyone and everything inside the truck. Just my opinion...but I think alot of others would agree.

OP
OP
C

cisco

well- sounds like i should put a full cage in.

got a quote of $1,000.00 labor to weld up the rear end bars to my existing smitty, and to weld the new half cage to the frame. this quote didnt count the actual bars to be added. several people have said that sounds steep- so ive come here to see what you guys say.

will check the rock shop next week- thanks!

crab

Bronco Guru
I will send you a fully TIG welded CRAB cage to Charlotte NC for $999. Not worth it to send unwelded as Charlotte is a major hub for distributer.
Let me know.............Crab

OP
OP
C

cisco

ive seen a lot of pics of your cages crab, and read a lot of positive feedback- your cage is my first choice.

will it come with any sleeved seat belt fixtures? for front and rear passengers..

also, i hear a lot of talk about bolting these cages on.. but the shop i visited said they would weld it to the frame. the welded option sounds a lot better than the bolts.. would i need this welded to the frame or bolted?

im new- so thanks for the advice.

crab

Bronco Guru
That will include the sleeving material. Not knowing your application, it would be better if you drilled the holes where you want them and have them welded. Not a difficult job by any means. ALL of your aftermarket and most custom cages bolt to the bronco tub. Then you connect a "frame tie in" bracket that should have integrated urethane bushings to help eliminate vibration in the cab. There are a couple companies selling tie ins that will work with our cage, and we have our own set out at some point. I would not weld the cage directly to the frame unless it it a 'SCORE' or somesort of desert or rock ONLY bronco.

cisco said:
ive seen a lot of pics of your cages crab, and read a lot of positive feedback- your cage is my first choice.

will it come with any sleeved seat belt fixtures? for front and rear passengers..

also, i hear a lot of talk about bolting these cages on.. but the shop i visited said they would weld it to the frame. the welded option sounds a lot better than the bolts.. would i need this welded to the frame or bolted?

im new- so thanks for the advice.

JKrieg70

Loc.
Columbus, GA
Cisco,

I have seen a baby blue uncut driving around town a few times. The person I have seen has a lot of hair. You or your friend? By the way, I live about 3/4 mile from the penguin.

OP
OP
C

cisco

hehe- i have a buzz cut, my friend has the hair :) he also has the volcano hub caps and a straight body on the drivers side (mines dented).

do you drive a dark blue or black one w/ a white top?

-ok im hearing all sorts of stuff about attaching the bar or cage.

1. is it best to weld the cage in several places to the frame (front, middle, rear)?
2. is it OK to have the cage welded only in the middle, or at one end or the other?
3. is it effective, or worth itstalling one at all, if its only going to be bolted to the body?

went to the rock shop but andy was out, so i'll get back in touch with them this week.

JKrieg70

Loc.
Columbus, GA
Mines dark blue with a white top, Ill have to flag your friend down next time I see him driving by. That baby blue sticks out like a sore thumb.