• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer motor swaps what years did you install

onpier55

Loc.
Roseville Ca
I installed a 99 mercury mountaineer motor in my bronco. I made the harness form YouTube videos from Garry. Going on five years ago now. I’ve put 11k miles on it. Motor had 150k on it when I pulled it from pick and pull. I’m just wondering what years of motors everyone has installed in the broncos. I know everyone likes the 96 because of the gt40 heads. The gt40P heads didn’t present a problem for me. A little grinding on the old 74 exhaust manifolds and good to go. Just curious what year you’ve got in your bronco?

Mikes Early Bronco

Contributor
Oily Driveway Guy
I went with a 97 Mountaineer 5.0 with P heads. There’s nothing wrong with P heads. If your crafty, they’ll work great. I’m still in the chassis stage of my build. I had a great discussion with an Edelbrock tech yesterday. I’m putting the Ford EFI on the shelf for now and going with a Pro Flow 4.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
(3) 1996, early 97 (so still GT40 heads), 98, 2000... I have run aftermarket headers on the GT40 head motors, and the later Cast iron exhaust manifolds on the rest. EGR is not a problem, as I retain it. Started blending the Mustang TB, EGR spacer, mustang throttle cables on the last few without issue. Even added the Canister solenoid purge valve as well.