• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer swap questions

STalon89

So I’m in the middle of finishing up a long block from a 98 explorer. It’s going with a C4 transmission and everything else around it is factory parts. Any idea what I will need for a torque converter? Also, curious what you guys used for a flexplate.

JKH67302

Contributor
You can use the same flexplate that the 4R70W used, if it's the same motor and you kept the same 58 oz. balance. If it's a 28oz motor just use an older 302 or 351 flexplate for the C4 or AOD. I ran the C4 behind my swap for a while until I got my 4r70 done. I used the stock C4 torque converter as well.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Presume you are dealing with a Bronco C4. If it is a car C4 with an adaptor kit, this advise may be wrong...

The Explorer 4R70W flexplate is exactly what you want.
The stock Bronco torque convertor, maybe. If the large 11-7/16" bolt circle, great, you have everything you need.
The stock Bronco torque convertor also cane in a unicorn 10-1/2" bolt circle. You don't want this one. It won't work. The flexplate that works with this convertor was only available in the wrong balance for your engine. The flexplate is also oboslete, you can't even get a new one. There are flexplates that will work with the small 10-1/2" bolt circle, but they are the smaller 157 tooth flexplates. That won't work with the 164 tooth bellhousing. The difference being the fewer teeth will be too small and the starter gear will never engage. The bellhousing is locates the starter. And the Bronco 10-1/2" convertor also has a funky snout on the front of it so it works with slightly deeper 164 tooth bellhousing. That 10-1/2" bolt circle converter has been a pain for engine swaps for decades now. If there was an easy way to keep it, it would have been found by now. The fix is rather simple, swap on the standard 11-7/16" bolt circle convertor. Easy off the shelf part for the fix.

Changing the convertor is needed even in stock applications if the ring gear on the flexplate gets tore up. Just to get away from the 10-1/2" bolt circle unobtainium Bronco flexplate.